• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Ok, riding lawn mowers, looking for a good pseudo industrial unit. We mow an approximate 5 acre yard at least once a week. Looking to buy new. We wear out Cubs, and she does not want a zero turn. Go!

A JD x700 series or brand equivalent would be the minimum I'd go Tyler for what you're doing. I'd look for something with a geared transmission tbh but they get spendy. I would avoid anything that is "Big box store" marketed as they typically are spec'd to only last 250-500 hrs.

I've spent the last month or so inside the transmissions of a lot of these tractors and can tell you some tips to make em last once you find one you like.

Last edited:
you'll be hard pressed to find a commercial mower that isn't zero turn.

compact tractor with a belly mower.

^this

JD 455 with a 60 inch

But Why no zero turn?

mac 'not how well you cut, how well you cut fast' gyvr

the other option is to go straight old school.

70's IH cubs are pretty near indestructible, and old kohler rebuild kits are cheap.
old bolens are good pieces of equipment that have transmissions with bronze gears.
if you can find a decent price on a diesel steiner....

or an old gravely with the front mount.

Camille does most the mowing and she does not like the zero turns, she likes the hydrostatic type with belly mowers. I'm thinking a unit like what Nate mentioned, a true garden tractor with a 60 or 72" belly mower. Going to check out John Deere while in town today. The box store mowers don't last a season at our place, we've already been down that road. This Cub 1054 we currently have has done ok, but is just rattled apart n is worn out. Everytime we mow it needs something fixed.

you guys are going about this all wrong...

then sit in the lawn chair and drink beer.

you guys are going about this all wrong...

then sit in the lawn chair and drink beer.

that's a big string for 5 acres.

see if you can't locate a ford 1720.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/9/3/5930-ford-1720.html

pretty much perfect for what you want. Also has real PTOs and hydraulics for other stuff. 72" mid mount deck IIRC, can be had with front wheel assist and power steering, but you'll pay dearly for the front assist version.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/5561163086.html

it's crazy they still bring 7K+. They were 9 g brand new.

Last edited:
I've used an early 2000s John Deere 455 diesel a few times with a 60 inch deck and that thing was a monster. Cut great and got 300 miles to the gallon.

mac 'heard they have cheaper head gaskets too ;)' gyvr

Broke down and bought a John Deere today, 54" cut, hydrostatic drive, it's an X series and has 4 year warranty. Didn't want to spend 14k on what I really wanted. It's a nice unit n plenty powerful and quick. Huge upgrade from the Cub.

Also, with buying from John Deere I can have a place to go for warranty work and someone's ass to chew, unlike if I went to a bulk store or buy used from individual.

All this tractor talk and my old cub decided not to start today. Suzi wants to get a new tractor but I can't give up our cub

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

We have a 53 Cub, it's all original other than being converted to a 12v system. Needs a waterproof installed, will get to that in the next week or two. It's a good rig for mowing a path in the pastures for fence or the kids 4 wheelers.

Yea mines a 1969 cub cadet. Haven't even had a chance to see how it mowes yet. Hopefully this week.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Broke down and bought a John Deere today, 54" cut, hydrostatic drive, it's an X series and has 4 year warranty. Didn't want to spend 14k on what I really wanted. It's a nice unit n plenty powerful and quick. Huge upgrade from the Cub.

diesel?

my wifes uncle has a diesel JD with 54" or 58" deck. i think its an x700 series. incredibly nice unit and he uses it to mow 2-3 acres weekly. hasn't had any issues with it

9e9e81292c7afb2f4bba5a6351ff8fd4.jpg

mac 'picture window' gyvr

Chainsaw framing, my favorite!

Craig, this is a gasser, the diesel units were out of my price range.

Cheesy got a text

It's in...needs trimmed out but I'm sweaty...

45b96287d13f8ede3560887b6182827b.jpg

mac 'girl made me sweat' gyvr

I've seen them all over. And had mediocre service at best. I'm digging Tilted Kilts.

Green Bay had one, it's closed now. We had one in Stevens Point, the Ramada (old Holidome) it was in closed and got torn down and they never relocated. I had just assumed the Tilted Kilt chain was going tits up.

i also think i got most of the problems that erupted with the new wj figured out. i think its going to need an engine relatively soon, but i was worried about making it back home tonight. crank sensor failure, fuel pump failure, water pump failure, radiator failure...its been an eventful trip so far to say the least

Keep running it. When Sean heard the knock coming out of 4.0 a few weeks back he called me a brave man; it's been making that noise in various severity for 20-30k miles. It goes away when it's warmed up. I am looking forward to seeing what the bearings look like when I tear it apart.

permanent like yours. i was gonna talk to you about the pool if i saw ya this weekend.

i don't know electrical terms so here is what i have in generic inter web picture form.

drier outlet (appears to be ran correctly)~~~~this is where i think it gets sketchy~~~~~~~~~~110 outlet for the washer wired into the 220~~~~~~~~~~~outside plug#1(gfci)~~~~~~~plug in the yard where someone once had a pool.

~~~ this little shit means 110 wire.

my plan going from here will be to intercept the outside outlets with a junction box and run that to an open spot on the panel. its all easily accessible where i wont need to rip out any drywall

Seriously, if you don't know pay someone to do it. Please do not electocute your kids.

Sold my RZR last night. Posted on CL at 10:30 yesterday morning at a stupidly high price to see if I would even get a nibble, and at 2:45 a guy called, was there 30 minutes later with us wife. They walked around it once, drove around the driveway and that was it, SOLD! I owned it for @ 4 months and made $1800 on it.

Now if I could do that once a week I could quit this government job :D

Cheese "closer to building a new house" Man

I have my little back hoe on CL for a fair price and all I get is low ball offers. Last night a guy actually told me he was low balling and couldn't afford the $17,000 I am asking for it. H told me he was looking for a deal.

Ok, riding lawn mowers, looking for a good pseudo industrial unit. We mow an approximate 5 acre yard at least once a week. Looking to buy new. We wear out Cubs, and she does not want a zero turn. Go!

Buy my Kubota, sell the backhoe attachment and put a belly mount finish mower on it.
You get a mower, and I get to pick up my RZR.
Two problems solved!

Back