• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

I tried to replace the heater core in my 1988 GMC back in the day.
I had the Hanes manual, so it should be easy...
Step one, remove the dash...
So I called a mechanic

Thought the same thing, then realized I'm the mechanic... :twak:

I've done the heater core in the jeep and the Taurus. The Taurus was actually easier. Just plan for an all weekend job. Took about a day and half to do jeep.

yeah those aren't fun. it books 6.9 hours

you know how its going to go.

Ohh I know... Same kind of "fun" time as the exhaust manifolds... Sad thing is theres only 120k miles on it. Was hoping it was just leaking heater hoses following the core lines into the cab, but no such luck.

Once the winter is over, I've got flashy 20's waiting to go on my race jeep ;)

I've got 20's on my Denali and the C10...they look small in comparison to other wheels now a days.....I wish I had put winter wheels on the Denali years ago, the OEM wheels are flaking and pitted, they look like shit now....but an 07 w/ 173K on it, its seen a lot of highways over the years. Still as cushy as the day we bought it though, its a great travel vehicle for the family and friends. :thumbup:

Thought the same thing, then realized I'm the mechanic... :twak:

I just told my brother that I'm only a mechanic at work.

I caved and ordered new black SRT8 replicas, should look great. Getting them to fit and tuck nicely will be the challenge

that's going to look awesome!

Ohh I know... Same kind of "fun" time as the exhaust manifolds... Sad thing is theres only 120k miles on it. Was hoping it was just leaking heater hoses following the core lines into the cab, but no such luck.

If you have a vacuum hand pump, I would pull 28" on the new core before you install it....

First time doing a heater core in an F150 this weekend, and its my own truck... I'm surprised I've made it 14 years without having to do one. Should be "fun".

I love pulling dashes. f150s are gravy. I don't pull them all the way out. I just lay the pass side of the dash on the seat and squeeze myself up in there.

At work waiting for my ford software to update

I just told my brother that I'm only a mechanic at work.

I'm a teacher at work, mechanic at home... :conceited

If you have a vacuum hand pump, I would pull 28" on the new core before you install it....

Good Idear.... I don't remember if I bought a new vacuum pump since my last toolbox got stolen, hmm...

I love pulling dashes. f150s are gravy. I don't pull them all the way out. I just lay the pass side of the dash on the seat and squeeze myself up in there.

At work waiting for my ford software to update

You still need to undo the dash/steering column on the driver-side though, right?

I did a Taurus once were I was able to do the same thing poorboy described, pulled the passenger side away from the firewall. Still not what I would consider fun.

replacing heater cores is like being a good wing man....it initially sucks, but the end result can be good :D

I love ripping off a couple good farts then calling people into my office. You know they want to say something but can't.....

You still need to undo the dash/steering column on the driver-side though, right?

Yup pull the steering column out. You might be able to pull the mount bolts and let it sit on the drivers seat. I do that on dodges but can't remember on fords.

Pull the electrical connections and the mount bolts on the drivers side

I love ripping off a couple good farts then calling people into my office. You know they want to say something but can't.....

we were just discussing this at work the other day...it is inevitable that within 1 minute of blowing ass, someone will always walk in, usually the women from the neighboring agency.......they have gasped a time or two, but never fainted or said anything to me.

Back