• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Im torn when it cones to buying a tow rig (hopefully within the next year)

Gassers are cheaper to buy and fix, but less power and worse gas mileage.

Diesels are more to buy and fix, with more power and mileage.

Really been eyeballing excursions lately. Tons of room for kids and crap and the ability to tow.

K "don't want payments for 10+k rig" man

I would love to get an ambulance for a tow rig.

I get 11 mpg with my Tahoe towing the jeep. I don't think the oil burners are getting better. Sure, towing with a high torque rig is nice, but the cost difference is not worth it in my opinion. My hoe does fine and it still makes for a decent grocery getter, people mover and dd.

Call it diesel envy or whatever, I'll buy a gasser again.

looks like (barring unforseen circumstances) I will be buying a tow dolly tonight or tomorrow morning, and driving to attica starting tomorrow evening or thursday morning.

- Ken "16 hours of driving" Stein
tow dolly: bought

renting tow dolly: $500+ as well as optional insurance
buying tow dolly from fellow NAXJA member: $350 plus reg/insurance (cheap here)

so far I have $600 into the tow rig (and some of the parts might even get returned) and should have it registered, insured, and filled with beer, bacon, and camping gear tomorrow.

I guess I should cancel my flight out.

I won't believe Ken Stein is coming to WF until I see Massachusetts plates pull through the gates.

The idea is just too surreal.

I am leaving in 9 hours!!!

I should pull in with my camper (aka U-haul trailer) around 10-11pm Wednesday night...

God Speed

well...now for the week where the important thread is taken over by nerds not at winterfest :(

well, at least i can get some more work done on the j10 when im not at work

7.3 is slow

6.0h no is unpredictable

6.4...minus the dpf is power on tap

mac 'taste testing the jello shots' gyvr

Really been eyeballing excursions lately. Tons of room for kids and crap and the ability to tow.

$60 bucks for an oil change and Fuel filter change is what deters me from a diesel.

My 5.7L 390 horse Hemi just got 12.7 mpg hauling a 16ft gooseneck trailer with a 2007 FJ Cruiser on the back (weighs about 600lbs more than my XJ). I only got 13.5 towing my XJ on the same trailer with my 5.9 Cummins.

$60 bucks for an oil change and Fuel filter change is what deters me from a diesel.

60 bucks?

Hahahaha. More like 80 bucks.

My 6.0 got 12.5 towing the jeep through Knoxville and up through Kentucky to Ohio. The mileage is negligible when you compare it to a gasser because the jeep sits up so high. I've towed cars and gotten 15 mpg with basically the same weight.

When I talk to guys with gas rigs, the biggest thing I notice is the hills. I set the cruise and forget about it. The boost gauge goes up and down with the elevation change but I'm cruising at 70. Guys with gas rigs have told me the power isn't there in the hills.

Nothing scientific. I like mine and I hope you like yours.

Red 'tow rig went over 100k' heep

still rollin a 7.3 and lovin it........

Brad's 7.3 has 427k on it. I'd rock a 7.3 based on that. Still rather have a Cummins!

Xxxx, mine takes more like 70 for just the oil...

- Ken "even in 5 gallon pails rotella gets expensive when you need 22qt" Stein

As a ford parts guy, i love the 6.0 :D

bread maker

Back