• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

After having a '10 Corolla S this week... Toyota makes the biggest POS cars on the planet. Lame driving, boring interior, lousy suspension, barely enough power to get it out of its own way. They can't even put an auto stick into the hunk of crap...

87manche, yeah, throw that much emissions bs in and I get aggravated.

As far as I'm concerned, Renix is the pinnacle of fuel injection, that or the very similar early motronic systems.

Bulletproof, fault tolerant and adaptive. And I'd be willing to bet that before the big tires and what not that my MJ got better mileage than most newer trucks. I used to pull down low 20's loaded for a weekend of wheeling on the 31's. That's with all of my tools, 4 super swampers and camping gear in the back.

As far as I'm concerned, Renix is the pinnacle of fuel injection, that or the very similar early motronic systems.

Bulletproof, fault tolerant and adaptive. And I'd be willing to bet that before the big tires and what not that my MJ got better mileage than most newer trucks. I used to pull down low 20's loaded for a weekend of wheeling on the 31's. That's with all of my tools, 4 super swampers and camping gear in the back.
I actually really like OBD-II. I love the fact that it (at least tries to) tell me exactly what's wrong. I also love messing around with it and fooling it into thinking all is well... it's good practice, and somewhat of a challenge.

I pulled 23.3 miles to the gallon or so in my MJ coming back from Rausch Creek last time, with a spare 4.0 (fully dressed), AW-4, NP231, two driveshafts, engine hoist, all fluids required for a full change, camping gear, a huge cooler of beer, and another huge cooler of food in the back. Came to approximately 1400-1500lbs including me. That's with a 4.0, AW4, 225/75s, and 3.55 gearing, doing 60-65mph.

when I was DD'ing the Mj it was not uncommon for it to get 25 MPG on the highway.
AX-15, 3.55's, 31's.

I despise OBD-II. OBD-I got the job done. I guess I'm just all in favor of discrete systems. I'd like my engine management to run the engine and nothing more. If you want emissions and evap control then make that a separate system, don't integrate it into the ECU that controls the timing and injection.
Likewise all of this body control crap needs to stop. Why do power windows have to be run through a body computer? Was there something wrong with wires that go to relays and motors? Seemed to work pretty well for the last 60 years.

I just want a simple vehicle that works, and doesn't freak out if there's 2 ohms more than spec on a ground wire.

I have a great appreciation for OBD II. Its a lot smarter than OBD and it allows you to watch parameters of sensors in action. Which could have been done with OBD but I haven't found it easy to keep codes active in OBD and track them down unless they're current. As far as the new modules with windows and mirrors and such, that shiat's for the birds. I agree, it was just fine with a few wires without them having to talk to a BCM.

I like OBD-II myself! I mean all i gotta do is hit a couple buttons on my scangauge II and I know whats going on. Usually its my NSS making it throw a code and I can clear it on the fly.

Ordered a trans cooler and AA SYE from Rusty's last night. Cost me a whole $20 thanks to that gift certificate. Now i just have to get my spare t-case back from my buddy so i can rebuild it and throw the SYE on it.

An auto diesel pump nozzle is slightly bigger than the regular gas pump nozzle. Keeps you from putting diesel in a gas vehicle.

I'm stopping on the way home to see if this is true. If I can fit the diesel nozzle in the mini, I'll take a picture.

just the other day you told me that the new GM trucks were all better now.

I told you I would buy one and I still would. But I have a Ford because the interior is nicer. Just wondering if the chevy salesman posting up all the great and wonderful things about the truck knew what the inside of one was like.

I'm stopping on the way home to see if this is true. If I can fit the diesel nozzle in the mini, I'll take a picture.

I told you I would buy one and I still would. But I have a Ford because the interior is nicer. Just wondering if the chevy salesman posting up all the great and wonderful things about the truck knew what the inside of one was like.

Josh? Salesman? Bahahahahahahaha, he couldn't sell water to a dehydrated guy! :D He's just a grease monkey.

Josh? Salesman? Bahahahahahahaha, he couldn't sell water to a dehydrated guy! :D He's just a grease monkey.

he must have left his CP logged in and a salesman used it to stir up some business :laugh2:

It's called sarcasm big guy, I hear they put the definition on wikipedia for you.

Couldn't fit the diesel nozzle in the mini. Learn something everyday. I think the Jeep has a bigger hole in the neck, I think I can make it fit.

It's called sarcasm big guy, I hear they put the definition on wikipedia for you.

Couldn't fit the diesel nozzle in the mini. Learn something everyday. I think the Jeep has a bigger hole in the neck, I think I can make it fit.

let me know if it fits in the jeep...bet it won't either...

mac 'they got to make stuff firefighter proof' gyvr

You can check an 05 Silverado off of the list. I had to try it. It took forever to fill it up since it wouldn't fit in the hole. I had to hold it above it the whole time! They really need to come up with something better than that. Worthless engineers......:sure:

And I'm changing the topic again...

I helped out a friend today, the Ford dealership told her it would cost $400 in just parts to replace both her leaf springs, when actually looking under the vehicle for 30 seconds it was obviously just a broken shackle. $25 for a new shackle and it's fixed. Dealerships, they obviously didn't even take the time to figure out what was wrong, they just assumed the entire suspension needed replaced.

Even scarier, she's been driving it like this for 6 months.

100_0296.jpg

untitled.jpg

I helped out a friend today, the Ford dealership told her it would cost $400 in just parts to replace both her leaf springs, when actually looking under the vehicle for 30 seconds it was obviously just a broken shackle. $25 for a new shackle and it's fixed. Dealerships, they obviously didn't even take the time to figure out what was wrong, they just assumed the entire suspension needed replaced.

100_0296.jpg

untitled.jpg

Nice. I saw a Ranger at the parts store the other day that obviously had a broken leaf/shackle/hanger on the rear, they just hopped in and drove off. Scary what people will just ignore. That thing had to be sitting on the bumpstop on the drivers side.

Will the Chevy take the BIG diesel nozzle? There are 2 sizes, auto diesel and truck diesel.

Rev

You can only get the big nozzle in the small hole if you work it right. Try getting the car drunk first.

I'm not too familiar with Ford's most recent interior, so I can't say Chevy's is better. I do know that they have done a lot of redesigning in the last few years and fit and finish is looking pretty nice. I like the look and feel quite a bit and since I see them everyday, all day, I would have found things to pick at and that just isn't the case with me.

100_0296.jpg

untitled.jpg

This kinda stuff really burns my biscuits. Mechanics everywhere get a bad rep because some dealerships and even independent shops don't diagnose. I make sure I don't sell something that the customer doesn't need. Hell, I even offer alternative fixes that will save them money. Take for instance the other day I had a customer with a clunk when taking off. This truck had been in before under a different owner and I had a good idea of what it was. To correctly fix the problem, it would take a new slip yoke. Knowing we more than likely don't have one and it would be a lot more expensive, I greased the yoke, eliminated the noise and made a customer happy. Why can't all shops be as concerned for the customer? It's policy here.

Back