• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Supposedly there is a RE superflex joint that accepts a 1/2" bolt. I have yet to see one or even a part number for one. (I've not really looked though) If I can locate one, I will go that route.

Hale

Haleyes said:
Supposedly there is a RE superflex joint that accepts a 1/2" bolt. I have yet to see one or even a part number for one. (I've not really looked though) If I can locate one, I will go that route.

Hale
The standard large RE superflex joint takes a 9/16 bolt but is far wider than the small 10mm one.
Get a good class 12.9 10mmm bolt and you should be fine.

Go to Fastenal and get a 10mm grade 12.9 (SAE grade 8 equivalent) bolt with matching nut and run it.

You might have to buy 5 or 10 at a time but they are only a dollar or so each and you could distribute.

Edit: You beat me by one minute.

Thanks for the advise guys, I apperciate your input. I wish I had a Fastnal that was close to me. Here in BFE sometimes you just have to make due with what you got. Our local hardware store has a pretty good selection of stuff, I'm going to go investigate what they have. If they haven't got anything I'll check at work in the tool room, they have a plethora of stuff to choose from.

I'm going to try to get that done today, I really don't like driving around with that little bit of sloppy in there.

Thanks again.

Hale

Any advise on what I should torque it to?

Haleyes said:
Thanks for the advise guys, I apperciate your input. I wish I had a Fastnal that was close to me. Here in BFE sometimes you just have to make due with what you got. Our local hardware store has a pretty good selection of stuff, I'm going to go investigate what they have. If they haven't got anything I'll check at work in the tool room, they have a plethora of stuff to choose from.

I'm going to try to get that done today, I really don't like driving around with that little bit of sloppy in there.

Thanks again.

Hale
Most standard metric socket head cap screws (allen head) are class 12.9.

We have a Fastenal here in Vincennes, let me know if you don't have any luck. IIRC Lowe's has a decent selection of class 12.9 metric bolts.

a 3/8" grade 8 bolt is supposed to be torqued to about 50 ft lbs, so I'd guess an M10 would be somewhere right around there.

Now, you guys realize that the one that broke was a 10mm 12.9.....right?

You're saying just replace it with the same thing, correct?

Haleyes said:
Now, you guys realize that the one that broke was a 10mm 12.9.....right?

You're saying just replace it with the same thing, correct?
There really isn't anything better available.
Make sure you torque it correctly and it should be OK.
I bent 3 trackbars in my XJ, the last one was 1.25 X .188 wall tube, without breaking the bolt.

Roxtar said:
There really isn't anything better available.
Make sure you torque it correctly and it should be OK.
I bent 3 trackbars in my XJ, the last one was 1.25 X .188 wall tube, without breaking the bolt.

Alrighty then. I'll replace it with the same thing. If and/or when if fails, I will look into someting different.

Thanks again fellas!

I'm off to the hardware store.

Hale

12.9 M10? IIRC, the axle end bolt on my CTD trackbar is right around that size, and it's 175 ft./lbs.

I've never found a 12.9 bolt in a hardware store, the best I've done was one grade softer.

ChiXJeff said:
I've never found a 12.9 bolt in a hardware store, the best I've done was one grade softer.

Me either. :(

I'll check at work this afternoon.

87manche said:
a 3/8" grade 8 bolt is supposed to be torqued to about 50 ft lbs, so I'd guess an M10 would be somewhere right around there.

68 N-m

You know, metric and all...

Back