• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm stuck!! Is there more than one kind of waterpump for the 4.0?

What is the voltage at the battery terminals?
Are the terminals clean and clamps tight?
Check the positive terminal at the starter to ensure it's clean and tight...
Disconnect the fusible link at the PDC and measure continuity from the terminal end to the alternator to ensure the fusible link isn't blown.

I don't have a multimeter :( I'll check all of the connections though

A multimeter is one of those things that I always put off buying because I have no immediate use for it until something like this happens. I'm going to make sure to get one in the near future to have in my toolbag, though. As for the XJ, it's up and running, and staying much cooler at idle than it was before. I just double checked everything and closed the hood to take it for a drive.

for what its worth i just had an idea and looked up the pump for a grand cherokee, and in the "what else it fits" section i noticed the XJ 4.0 was not listed.

this is the GC pump:
592933.jpg

670246.jpg

and it only fits a grand or a wrangler, the 42004 I posted above only fits XJ/MJ models starting at 87 and going up to 2001 (honestly I dont think I've ever seen one take the 42002). If they sold you the one for a grand then you got the wrong pump. you can most likely double check the part number you got on their website by looking up your vehicle and seeing if the number matches.

ok im a little confused. its been said to run the napa #42004 because the 42002 is for the grand cherokee. and then to also make sure to use the reverse rotation one. but the 42004 is standard rotation, and the 42002 is reverse rotation. so which one is the correct pump for our applications? (especially renix years)

Reverse in all situations on an xj.... I think. You should be able to tell by the pulley and crank rotation, which never changes. If the pulley is smooth then it is reverse. If it has groves then it would be standard.

I had a starting issue once (really more than once), and I traced it down to the connections on the battery. The clamps measured 9.4 V and the posts measure 12.3. Without the DMM I would be chasing ghosts.

Reverse in all situations on an xj.... I think. You should be able to tell by the pulley and crank rotation, which never changes. If the pulley is smooth then it is reverse. If it has groves then it would be standard.

well thats why i asked the question. by looking at the belt and pullys, the water pump is a reverse rotation. but from the advice on here, it says to use the 42004 from napa (which is were i am going as soon i figure out which one i need). the two numbers have oposite rotation, but they also have differant measurements.

Ok, going out on a limb here but you need reverse rotation on your XJ.

Sounds like a dead battery. The horn is a quick check. If it is nice and loud, especially when the headlights are on, the battery is most likely fine.

Ok, going out on a limb here but you need reverse rotation on your XJ.

yea, i got that allready. but it was said that i need the 42004 aswell. which on napa's website it says the 42004 is a standard rotation. now after removing the old pump and bringing to napa to match up, it showed to be identicle to the 42004. the 42002 is much differant in size, but it shows its a reverse rotation. well all three had the impellor mounted the same way. so im guessing the website mistakenly shows the 42004 as standard rotation. i installed the 42004 which matched up perfect and i no longer have a bird chirping under the hood. though i do get an over heating issue while cruising around slowly as if i was trail running. maybe i didnt burp the system enough. i installed a new (napa) thermastat (195), a new HD fan clutch as joe recommended, and new top and bottom hoses. the fan sure is alot more noticable at cruise speed so im guessing its pulling much more air. i have a feeling the napa thermastat isnt working properly as when i first started it after all the install, it warmed up and actually got real hot while ideling untill i blurped the throttle a bit and the stat opened. it then cooled down instantly. but it shouldnt have gotten that hot in the first place. might try and find a true stand premium intead of the napa one which i thought WAS the stant premium. i'll post what happens with the swap later. as for now, i will confirm the napa 42004 is the correct water pump number for the XJ. atleast i know it is for the renix era ones.

Sounds like you might have a little air still in there--did you park her nose down, remove the temperature sensor from the rear of the head, then add coolant until no more air comes out of the sensor port?

actually i found the problem this morning. the hose that goes from the thermastat housing back into the top of the bottle (closed system) was completely clogged at the "T". that made it extremely hard to burp the system aswell as not allowing the coolant to flow properly. once i cleared it and cleaned it out, the system worked great. still going to have to get used to the loud fan, but thats a small price to pay for better low speed cooling. thanks for all the great info.

Glad you found it, something else to watch out for, for the rest of us running closed systems.

Back