• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm honestly about to sell my jeep

If after a charge it is still weak I would tend to agree that it is the starter. check ground straps and make sure connections are clean first, If they are try turrning on the headlights (with somone watching), then crank it. if the lights get very dim you either have a bad battery or the starter is drawing too much power. they should dim just not to almost nothing. the proper way to check it is a load tester but you would have done that if you had one.

When I try and start my engine, the E-brake light dims to almost nothing, but I haven't tried it with the headlights though. I don't think it's a bad cell, the battery is like 4 months old and never been run down to dead.

That sounds like a battery to me...

Although it could be the wire from battery>starter.

I know mine fried randomly on my old '91. Replaced it and all was well.

85xj4dr said:
My jeep did that to me. Once I started beating the hell out of it, it never did it again....
Yep, the o'l BFH will make her think twice about taking your money!! I gotta keep both my Jeeps (bitches) in check or they start trippin..and I'm like :twak:

If you have a standard transmission, push start it.

A battery can be 2 seconds old and go bad, IT'S A BATTERY THEY DO THAT.

Did you clean the connections points on the battery? If there is enough corrison between the cables and the battery posts you'll get the voltage but not the current. That will be both ways. Charging and discharging.

I'd check the condition of your battery cables. My '98 would appear to be all good connections and battery, but had the same symtoms. My cables were corrodedabout 2 inches back from the terminals underneath the wire sheathing. It was enough to not allow enough output to start the Jeep, but would appear fine otherwise. I cut back the cables and put on new terminals and it made a huge differnce in cranking power.

Also, another vote for checking the ground straps, etc. They can wreak havoc with electrical systems. Once I got my electrical problems sorted (battle for months), I haven't had a problem starting in 2 years.

Back