• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

im 17 and need help

Begster said:
Yes, its the U-joints in the driveshaft, and one of those has to do with the angle of the pinion, but I still don't see where you think the axle itself has to do with the vibes. I was correcting the original poster where he said the axle was what determined if you would have vibrations.

The pinion on the dana 35 is MUCH shorter than the pinion on an 8.25 Dana 35 users can get away with a little more lift without vibes, as they will have a good inch or inch and a half longer driveline.

its a combination of pinion and output shaft angles, not exclusively one or the other

wow... i have learned a lot after reading all of this. you can add me to the list of the young XJ owners here. I'm almost 19, and have had my 00 XJ for 5 months. my first car was an MX6 LS and although i loved that car, i wish i had gotten a jeep to begin with! I live in TN and so far, i have taken my jeep off road on some of my buddy's properties, and i had no clue a stock XJ could do so much, even with 1/2 bald street tires. i have been stuck before... lost momentum going into some sticky mud, and burrried the passenger front bumper in the mud. i had to tie a rope to my rear bumper mounts to get pulled out. and now, i know why everyone says you need Recovery Points!!! they are next on my list of "first things to get". i agree with what you guys are saying, about wheeling stock, and get your saftey and armor items out of the way first; and i'm in the same boat you guys are, Money is very limited. my goal is to keep my 00 a DD with minor modifications, and to find a "toy" XJ to tear up off road... =)

and i've gotta say, thanks to everyone who mantains this site, and the members who share their wealth of knowledge here. i've been reading through the forums here for about 2 months now, and i am hooked...

I highly reccomend Ajsoffroadarmor. Also, DPG Off-road makes KILLER leafspring packs/springs. Both of the owners of the respective sites are really great with customer service and take the time to talk with you about your needs. I'm 16 and my XJ has gone through a couple rollovers, stupid things, and testosterone. I've quieted down and am building armor. PM me if you want to see a $70 rear bumper that's .225 square solid. =D. DO THE RIGHT THING THE FIRST TIME! Learned that the way hard way.

i am also a young jeeper i got my first 96 xj at 17, 3 rough country lift and i made costom bumpers,with 31 1050 it was great, i could go and do lots of diffrent stuff from exstream to easy. but some idiot in a toyota came around a turn to fast and i was in a head on colision. now im almost 19 and now in a 95 xj with a 6inch full traction lift, and custom bumpers. and i really injoy it. but i would say deff take it in steps but do the right lift the first time bc you may end up spending more in the end. and dont buy of of impulse do reserch on the stuff you are going to buy.
xjeepers2

Go with the rustys lift so in 2 years when you replace the whole thing and go with long arms you wont be out the aditional $600 for RE.

if you plan on rustys lift, plan on replacing everything in his kit anyway.

IntrepidXJ said:
as a few others started in this thread.....i highly recommend getting some armor and wheeling your XJ in stock form, and then making modifications to improve your vehicles capability based on experience. in the end, you will become a better driver with a properly built rig.

my 2 cents

:)
X2 from Randy.

Learn to wheel stock and protected. For Illinois, muddy, tree lined, tight trails, rock rails are almost essential. You can do your build up in stages with good equipment that can be added to. RE shackles and a spacer in the front will give you enough lift to give you more clearance and flex. After that good tires and a gas tank skid would be my next step. In the MW for some reason, you seem to find stumps and rocks in the bottom of those mud/water holes. Especially backing up! Transfer case protection is important too. Big $$$$$ to fix that beyotch. Nothing will fawk up your day like a busted TC. It breaks, you are being towed home!

Like many above have said too, I'd take a locked, unlifted rig over one with a huge lift and open. It is amazing, the difference.

One last thing... I've seen many young guys with very well built rigs, broken down on the trail because of the lack of proper AUTO Maintenance. Rotten brake lines, welded/rewelded/welded again parts, filthy clogged radiators, bad fan clutches, shot thermostats, etc...

Take care of the little things too!!

Last edited:
stock wheeling is fun.
Less chance of breakage, easy trails are "harder"

lockers are cool.

You should check out the midwest chapter for some unofficial runs this summer.

Back