• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch problem

imthehink

NAXJA Forum User
this may be a stupid question but, I just put an ignition switch on my 93 and I did everything the instructions said. I have a tilt column. Then I did it the way the chilton's said. I can't get it to start. Just the radio will come on. How do I adjust it right? Is there any better instructions? help would be great. thanks

Last edited:
The timing instructions can be different for tilt and non tilt columns, at least on the Saginaw column. I think you have the Chryco column ( correct this guys ) which may be different. Either way, which way you preload the key cylinder sets up the correct switch "phasing" to get the ign circuit to contact. Then you tighten down the switch while pushing against it, too. It takes all the slack out.

I changed it because I when I would go to start it, I would have to turn the key forward and hold it for about 10 -15 sec.

Do you have a test light or anything to tell where your not getting power?
I might add that if you did not smell something hot or burning or even see smoke then the Ign switch was not likely the problem.

Your switch should have come with instructions too. On my '88 with tilt, I centered the tilt. I had to slide the ign switch into the accessory position, and turn the key to accessory. This aligns the rod that slides into the switch.

Then carefully place the switch on the mounting holes and snug down. I turned my key through all position with the connector still off to ensure the key stopped in all the right places and "bounced back" from the start position. Then I put the connector back on and all the other stuff around it.

Back