• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If you have a Rigidco tire carrier, consider yourself lucky!

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
Hey dudes. You might have seen my xj on the Sierra Chapter pages.

Samoa Cruising by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

I've been rocking a Rigidco FBG front bumper, modified with a TJ winch plate grafted in for about 6 years. I love this thing. Has held up to so much abuse... The mounting system is just, industry best.
Untitled by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

I have a C4X4 rear bumper/ carrier that I got for a great price from a NAXJA part out, about 7 years ago. Great bumper, I've modified it siginificantly, high lift mount, integrated hitch support, etc. (The thing has 21 bolts holding it to the body.)
But my biggest gripe is that I drag ass everywhere on the trail. I've hit it so many times against the hatch, that you can see dents up near the hatch hinges, and I have the infamous "D" pillar dimple due to the unibody getting beat by the bumper. I want more clearance.
Untitled by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

(Long winded story, sorry...)
I called Terry from Rigidco to see if he could produce his "RBA-TC" rear bumper/ tire carrier. Looks like he is simply done producing rear bumpers. He cited age, and that they are just too bulky, big and difficult to produce for his one man show. He will still make the front bumpers.

Just so you know, this is what his setup looked like-
acdd10.jpg

Suggestions for a new carrier? I've been looking at the JCR Adventure setup. I want the tire in the center, I want the end caps to be in-line with the stock quarter panel lines (no bulky endcaps), and roto-pax mounts would be a plus. And of course, something that tucks a bit closer. (I asked JCR, and the Vanguard actually sticks 5.75 inches out from the center of the hatch. Not sure if the end caps will actually be higher clearance than my current bumper.)

I prefer to mount the tire on the back, I already have a RockHard cage which makes the rear cargo area more precious.

Thought I'd share the (bad) news.... :wave:

Guess I got lucky. Scored my rigidco from a part out a couple months ago. Sucks to hear he's not making them. After installing it I can see why it's such a pain to produce. But I especially love that I can move the tire mount side to side so it can be off set and make seeing out the back a bit easier.

Last edited:
I like the look of the Smittybuilt XRC tire carrier bumper. There are a couple of XJ near me that have them on them. Seen one of them up close-ish as it was done at one of the local off-road shops.

Dirt bound rear bumper? Pretty similar to the rigidco....

I like the look of the Smittybuilt XRC tire carrier bumper. There are a couple of XJ near me that have them on them. Seen one of them up close-ish as it was done at one of the local off-road shops.

Those are all well and good assuming you don't mind making your departure angle terrible.

The Detours setup is nice, Dirtbound also.

I haven't considered JCR before, but I really, really like the design on the Adventure carrier. Having fuel mounts would be perfect for me, we have to travel very, very far in this area to wheel, and fuel stops can be very distant.

XJARP_ADWORDS.JPG

The price is obscene, but I can't find a setup even close to this one. I will NOT mount my hi-lift up there however. Mine sits protected inside most of the time. (I mount it on my current bumper occasionally.)

I would go ahead and add the dirtbounds designs and finish doesn't compare to the quality of rigid co.
I would go with jcr or detours especially when dropping a G on a bumper

All this hubbub over THAT? wow.

What hubbub? I posted this to tell people Rigidco was done with rear bumpers. I want something different for the back of my jeep, no different from how I now want Goodyear MT/r's.

I have this carrier.
http://www.c-rok4x4.com/#!c-rok-onl...r-and-Rear-Bumper/p/43552277/category=9969132
Debating getting it for my second xj as well. Keeps the spare way up and out of the way. One note, i would weld on the carrier tabs once you find a good position. I did it on the jeep after the install. Very solid. Though i did bend the latch pin. Im a retard behind the wheel though.

Its a shame terry isnt making the rears anymore. He was at the top of my list. His was the cheapest around that i found. C-rok is a bit more but still way less than any other quality carrier setups.

Im not a fan of detours. Tire mounts too low for rock crawling. Come off a ledge wrong and you have a bent carrier and broken back window.

Also check out dirtbound offroads carrier. It has an adjustable tire mount.
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/mojave-rear-tire-carrier-bumper-cut-and-fold-jeep-cherokee-xj.html

Last edited:
Gordon I really like your C-rok setup. I remember when you smashed the pin at #rainycon haha.

Back