• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If a D35 is weak then why not lock it?

Lincoln said:
I don't really care for them but I see 8.8 exploder axles for the $350-$500 range all the time. From the factory I've seen 3.27's, 3.55's, 3.73's, and 4.10's.

I’d be happy if I could find a Ford 8.8 for under $800 up here, you’d think those stupid things were made out of gold. A buddy bought a built 8.8 from Currie; $1800 delivered to his door. It was a lot of money, but a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a JY 8.8, rebuilding it, putting in gears and a Detroit. There are a lot of things I’m going to miss when I leave AK, but automobile parts prices isn’t one of them.

Wiley Coyote said:
I’d be happy if I could find a Ford 8.8 for under $800 up here, you’d think those stupid things were made out of gold. A buddy bought a built 8.8 from Currie; $1800 delivered to his door. It was a lot of money, but a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a JY 8.8, rebuilding it, putting in gears and a Detroit. There are a lot of things I’m going to miss when I leave AK, but automobile parts prices isn’t one of them.

where are you getting these prices?? 800 bucks is steep considering in the last year there have ben a few for sale on alaska4x4network for 100 and 150

A locker will not increase the strength of an axle unless the weak point is the differential.

:lecture: Think of it this way and it will apply to all axles.

Regardless of differential used, in a straight line optimum traction setup, each axle shaft gets the same amount of "load" which is 1/2 of the available torque.

Given a scenerio where one tire has traction and the other is in the air:

With an open axle, the tire with the most traction gets the least amount of power. That amount of power is dependant on how much traction is available to the other tire. If one wheel is in the air, the grounded tire will get zero torque. Tire slippage transfers power to the other wheel.

With an axle with a limited slip, the tire with the most traction will get a percentage of power greater than an open differential, yet less than 100% of the available torque. Tire slippage again transfers power to the other wheel.

With an axle with a locker or spool, the tire with the most traction gets a much larger % of the available torque. In a scenerio where one tire is airborne and the other is grounded, the grounded tire carries 100% of the availble torque. If that tire slips and regains traction, the amount of torque exerted on that axle is a factor larger than 100% of the available torque due to the moment of the tire/wheel.

Axle halves rairly break in the open or LSD scenerios, but often break in the Locker/Spool scenerio because that scenerion is where 100% or more of the available torque is exerted on the axle shaft.

Why lock a D35? Because it suits your needs at the time. Lots of folks with D35s, lockers and 31's out there who have had no problems and have enjoyed the comparative ease of which they now get around off-road.

mattak said:
where are you getting these prices?? 800 bucks is steep considering in the last year there have ben a few for sale on alaska4x4network for 100 and 150

That price was from calling around to the local junkyards (North West, Hill Top, Durkalous (sp?), etc.). Price depended on exact vehicle/year/mileage/condition, but that’s the right ballpark. I was getting quotes of $400 for a pos Dana 35 with 4.10s. :scared: You can get the 8.8s out of Rangers for $400, but they have drum brakes. I think that the junkyards have caught on that people want the Explorer 8.8s because they have disc brakes. I already talked to Oddball about getting one and I’d rather not give up my first born. :rolleyes: Do the JY prices go down in the winter or are they always high? Who was selling an 8.8 for under $200?

Very well put but damn did I go crosseyed reading it. so I will dumb it down a bit cuz I am in the mood.
is it the theory of relativity? Power takes the path of least resistance...
in an open diff that path is balance between both wheels. when one wheel spins it is evident that is the path of least resistance.
in a limited slip rear end, a small amount of resistance must be maintained on both sides of the diff to allow the clutch pack to tighten up and and limit the slip to the path of least resistance. a limited slip diff will only transfer a % of the power to the path of greater resistance.
a spool and a locker will transfer 100% of the power to both sides unlike an open or LS diff. a locker does not allow a wheel to travel slower than the carrier, only faster so it unlocks to do so.

a locked 35 is weak in 2 major ways that causes problems. the spider gears in an open and trackloc 35 have a tendancy to break a tooth.
the housing is on the flimsy side. not a big deal with an open diff. but can wear out clutch packs sooner.
Axle shafts need to be perfectly in line with a locker. a bent tube will force the shaft to misalign the locker leading to a broken locker.
Zuk, that was put very well.

Zuki-Ron said:
A locker will not increase the strength of an axle unless the weak point is the differential.

:lecture: Think of it this way and it will apply to all axles.

Regardless of differential used, in a straight line optimum traction setup, each axle shaft gets the same amount of "load" which is 1/2 of the available torque.

Given a scenerio where one tire has traction and the other is in the air:

With an open axle, the tire with the most traction gets the least amount of power. That amount of power is dependant on how much traction is available to the other tire. If one wheel is in the air, the grounded tire will get zero torque. Tire slippage transfers power to the other wheel.

With an axle with a limited slip, the tire with the most traction will get a percentage of power greater than an open differential, yet less than 100% of the available torque. Tire slippage again transfers power to the other wheel.

With an axle with a locker or spool, the tire with the most traction gets a much larger % of the available torque. In a scenerio where one tire is airborne and the other is grounded, the grounded tire carries 100% of the availble torque. If that tire slips and regains traction, the amount of torque exerted on that axle is a factor larger than 100% of the available torque due to the moment of the tire/wheel.

Axle halves rairly break in the open or LSD scenerios, but often break in the Locker/Spool scenerio because that scenerion is where 100% or more of the available torque is exerted on the axle shaft.

Why lock a D35? Because it suits your needs at the time. Lots of folks with D35s, lockers and 31's out there who have had no problems and have enjoyed the comparative ease of which they now get around off-road.

Rawbrown said:
Very well put but damn did I go crosseyed reading it. so I will dumb it down a bit cuz I am in the mood.
is it the theory of relativity? Power takes the path of least resistance...
in an open diff that path is balance between both wheels. when one wheel spins it is evident that is the path of least resistance.
in a limited slip rear end, a small amount of resistance must be maintained on both sides of the diff to allow the clutch pack to tighten up and and limit the slip to the path of least resistance. a limited slip diff will only transfer a % of the power to the path of greater resistance.
a spool and a locker will transfer 100% of the power to both sides unlike an open or LS diff. a locker does not allow a wheel to travel slower than the carrier, only faster so it unlocks to do so.

a locked 35 is weak in 2 major ways that causes problems. the spider gears in an open and trackloc 35 have a tendancy to break a tooth.
the housing is on the flimsy side. not a big deal with an open diff. but can wear out clutch packs sooner.
Axle shafts need to be perfectly in line with a locker. a bent tube will force the shaft to misalign the locker leading to a broken locker.
Zuk, that was put very well.

X2 U2 RawB. Now that makes sense.

Wiley Coyote said:
That price was from calling around to the local junkyards (North West, Hill Top, Durkalous (sp?), etc.). Price depended on exact vehicle/year/mileage/condition, but that’s the right ballpark. I was getting quotes of $400 for a pos Dana 35 with 4.10s. :scared: You can get the 8.8s out of Rangers for $400, but they have drum brakes. I think that the junkyards have caught on that people want the Explorer 8.8s because they have disc brakes. I already talked to Oddball about getting one and I’d rather not give up my first born. :rolleyes: Do the JY prices go down in the winter or are they always high? Who was selling an 8.8 for under $200?

Take a look at www.car-parts.com. Nortwest is listing three with 4.10's for $400. Stock numbers Y392 ('98), Y87 ('99), and Z459 ('00).

The are showing a bunch with 3.55's and 3.73's for $350.

Search for a '95 Explorer axle assembly rear.

If they want to jerk you around see what you can get one out of Seattle for too. Not out anything but a phone call.

do you have any buddies with junk at there house.... i pmd a couple of them i bet i can find an 8.8 in a matter of 3 days for under 200

Rawbrown said:
Whats stronger than a Dana 70? how about a 40 spline gun drilled ford 9' or Dana 60... hasta

This might be but im not too sure

CAT797RearSus1.JPG

Cat 787 rear axle BTW those tires are 13' (yes feet) tall

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
This might be but im not too sure

CAT797RearSus1.JPG

Cat 787 rear axle BTW those tires are 13' (yes feet) tall

Dingo
i was going to say Sterling 10.5 out of an F250 or 350 :eek: but now that seems a little inadaquit ( sp? )

whats the WMS to WMS measurements on those??

LOL

I got a really clean assembly out of a '97 exploder for $250.00 delivered.
Try www.getusedparts.com they link to a pile of yards. Fill out the form and in a matter of hours you will get e-mail bids from a pile of places.

Back