• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is This a Trac Lock?

Wolperdinger

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All - Changing the diff fluid in my kid's 89 Comanche that is a bit of a Frankentruck. It was converted by someone else to 4WD when we bought it. It's got a Chrysler 8.25 in the back, which I've never worked on. Is this a track lock diff? I jacked both wheels up and when you spin one wheel, the other goes in the same direction. So definitely not an open diff. (Can't seem to post attachments, so hopefully you can see the photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6uLK3ZJG6ryCJwbX9 )

One other question that may sound a bit nuts. We installed a Lokka in the front Dana 30 about 2 years ago. I could have sworn I read 4.10 on the ring gear. The rear ring gear is clearly a 3.55. My kid has been having drive line issues. Vibes, blown U-joints, on the driveshaft. Is there any way that the truck would even drive in 4WD without it tearing itself to shreds with 2 different gear rations like that? I'm going to have to pull the front cover off again and double check.

By your definition it would have some form of locker and no mis-matched gears would destroy themselves in 4WD.

BTW, I couldn't see any pics and it still might be a posi, pull the cover!

Can't attach pics directly. You need to host them on a service like IMGUR (or others) and use the tags to embed the pics.

Yes, it's an LSD. Don't know what kind.

OK, lets try this.

TRH3rZV.jpg

irJgqhm.jpg

VcraRuW.jpg

Yeah, there they are. I opened up the front and saw 427 on the pinion and shat myself. That can't be right, I thought. So I counted teeth. Front and rear rings both have 39 teeth, and pinions 11. So they are both 3.55's. Phew!

That's a posi for sure, there not very good depending on how you wheel!

OK, lets try this.

<snip of pics>

CAN YOU SEE ME NOW??? :)

That came through. One more thing about IMGUR. It allows you to "resize" the pics at the bottom of the "View and edit posts" dialog. I usually try a few on preview to get something viewable but not gigantic.

BQwqlmRm.jpg

I don't believe the Comanche ever came with the 8-1/4, so that would be a transplant. Did they get the pinion angle right when they welded on new perches?

Back