• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idiots guide to mounting beadlocks

I heard of people using sand to balance their tires, some use water, but water I think would get too hot and evaporate.

golf balls can be used also. as for the weight thing you want to have at minimum the maximum amount of weight needed to ballance the tire. soo... if you were to throw that tire on a machine and it needed 15oz then you need to add at least 15 oz of BB's, sand, golfballs whatever.

bj-666 said:
golf balls can be used also. as for the weight thing you want to have at minimum the maximum amount of weight needed to ballance the tire. soo... if you were to throw that tire on a machine and it needed 15oz then you need to add at least 15 oz of BB's, sand, golfballs whatever.

I heard of people using golf balls as well. That would probably be cheaper than the bb's. I would need 11,336 bb's @ .12 grams each for my 4 tires to get 12 oz in each.

conversion from grams to ounces:
http://anduin.eldar.org/~ben/cgi-bin/convert/gram_oz.pl

Where to get plastic .12 grams bb's online:
http://www.airsplat.com/Categories/B1-B4.htm

I wonder though if the bb's do a better job of balancing because they are so many of them and they would be dispursed better than just a few golf balls in there? Also you can fine tune the oz with the bb's better. How much does a golf ball weigh??? Does anyone have 1 they could weigh or know off the top of their head. Also can someone list how many oz it took to balance their 37" MTR on a beadlock rim? I know Goatman runs this combo. I bet it really depends on the the particular tire/rim and even the same tire and rim could need more or less. So I was thinking of just going to Les Schwab and having them figure how much to balance each of my wheel/tires would take and then adding that amount of weight in bb's. Also will internal use of bb's be the same as adding weight to the outside of the rim like tire shops do? Would you add the same amount of bb's in the tire as would be required to balance the tire via adding the weight to the rim? 1 more question. Can you add bb's to a standard rim that is not beadlocked? I doubt a shop would allow you to add bb's to a tire before remounting the tire and airing it up. Is this really just more of a beadlock rim balancing aid then a standard rim balancing aid?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think we are on to something here and alot of people could benefit from this. With balancing being around $10 a tire and needing frequent rebalancing due to offroading.....I much rather use the bb's because they are internal and you will not lose them as you would weights.

Last edited:
bj-666 said:

not true, not even close! remember when you weight on the outside of the rim you are adding wieghts to the non specific part and usually have to counter balnace onthe back or other side.....with internal banancing you usually need less. On Ali's one wheel we needed 50% less because it actually goes where it is needed

Any one color airsoft pellets work better than others?:laugh3:

alright... tried your way of sliding the wheel through the tires. Not as easy as it looks. Ended up taking them to a Discount tire down the road. Less than 5 minutes later and $2 per wheel, I was good to go. :)

Here are some pics of mine:

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

They're weren't very fun to build but I'm happy with how they turned out. I'll try to put them to work this next weekend..

formatt said:
alright... tried your way of sliding the wheel through the tires. Not as easy as it looks. Ended up taking them to a Discount tire down the road. Less than 5 minutes later and $2 per wheel, I was good to go. :)

Here are some pics of mine:

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

They're weren't very fun to build but I'm happy with how they turned out. I'll try to put them to work this next weekend..

did you have to cut the lip off the rim and weld on the inner ring?

nah, set it right on top and weld around. it was really easy. I've heard of people complaining because of the "width of the weld makes it hard to get the tire over". Spend the $5 a wheel to have a shop send the back bead over the front of the wheel. After trying to get one to go, I'd gladly spend $10 per wheel to have that done for me.

It's time consuming but easy...

formatt said:
nah, set it right on top and weld around. it was really easy. I've heard of people complaining because of the "width of the weld makes it hard to get the tire over". Spend the $5 a wheel to have a shop send the back bead over the front of the wheel. After trying to get one to go, I'd gladly spend $10 per wheel to have that done for me.

It's time consuming but easy...

hmmm
that makes sense, cool!
i assume you used nylock nuts?

Big Red said:
I heard of people using sand to balance their tires, some use water, but water I think would get too hot and evaporate.

too hot and evaporate? come on troy you have to know better than that....

evaporate into where? its a closed system - yeah the water might turn into a gas for a little bit, but then condense right back again - and the little bit of air in a tire cant hold that much water at all

and people use water more to lower their COG than to ballance...
(on trail only rigs, its not uncommon for the tires to be 1/2 full of water)

formatt said:
sorry but I gotta call BS on this one.. :gag:

well ranger is right, when I judge and event for uroc or calrocs most of the rigs are running about 5 gallons of water in the tires.....and its for CG.....The earth moving equiptment I used to work on and use when I was younger had about 50 gallons of water per tire

formatt said:
I was referring to the 1/2 full of water comment. that's considerably more than 5 gallons.

we judged stock mods.super mods and pro mods some guys fill over half full. its actually very common....by the way a 35 x 12.5 carries about 13 to 14 gallons

formatt said:
nah, the tire does come all the way in. that's that "lip guard" they put on the BFG MT's now. it's a pretty substantial lip on it to protect the rim on rocks.
\

So you are saying that you bolted THROUGH the tire? Im talking about the inside of the 2 beadlock rings inside of the wheel not on the tire side

come on now... you know I didn't bolt through the tire.

are you talking about the nylock on the back of the bolt? in the picture, going from the outside in, you're seeing: outer ring, space (tire), inner ring, nylock, remaining bolt.

sorry man.. you're completely losing me here.

Back