• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas for mega front bumper

what about a pre-runner type bumper? wouldnt that redirect the deer down (or jeep up) and efectively run over the deer?? hmm, furry speed bump. not to mention you got dinner for a couple of days.

some cars have a fluid or spring mount between the bumper and 'frame'... something to take up the energy of the hit. I figure that would be the best idea for survival of the unibody, bumper, and front sheetmetal.

this would require a separate tow point mounting system as mentioned by someone earlier.

Chero-King said:
Well if your worried about hitting one at night just do one like mine
JeepPhotos002.jpg

If you cant see a deer with that many lights than you shouldnt be driving :D

(I know this post was useless, sorry lol)

This guys got a great idea mount multiple layers of lights and when u wack off a deer u only have to pay for new lights or u could just get those little deer sensor thingys at wal-mart

Ive got a cheapo Smittybuilt brush guard on my 89'. Its wacked a few deer at around 20 - 35 MPH (I slammed on the brakes each time) and its taken some damage, but it kept the radiator and headlights intact for the drive home, and I think thats what matters. If you are hitting a deer at 50 mph, theres nothing you can do that will keep you from getting damage. Just get a good bumper and some armor for your headlights and radiator, and drive carefully.

protect the headlights and the radiator, hit the brakes and let up just before hitting the deer to raise the front of the car to help keep the deer from coming over the hood. Thats all you can really do.

I'm kind of rethinking the mega-bumper approach, and the plastic bumper approach in retrospect sounds retarded. I don't plan to hit herds of deer at once at 200 mph, and it would be cool to have a bumper that would spit a deer off the side of the truck, but I've realized that at any substantial speed, the impact at an angle would send my bump-steering XJ into the nearest ditch. I think I'll put a sturdy tube bumper like the RockRatz Over the Top one on, I'll make it myself, and put lights on the roof to see them beforehand. Cool thing is that the Rockratz site shows you enough pics to make your own!

Here is mine I just built...Everything on it is 1/4"...I built it to take a low speed deer assualt. Sorry no time to finish the paint job just yet...

P1010011.jpg

wow, what do you plan on running into? cuz my stock dodge bumper took a 45 mph deer assault with so much as a scratch. good lookin bumper,tho you may have to factor in the weight when picking front springs

shortxjdoug said:
wow, what do you plan on running into? cuz my stock dodge bumper took a 45 mph deer assault with so much as a scratch. good lookin bumper,tho you may have to factor in the weight when picking front springs

Yeah...I got a little carried away. It weighs about 300lbs now. The weight isn't that big of an issue, I had to build a complete subframe when I dropped in a cummins 4bt 3.9l turbo deisel, plus it's going to be tied into my exo as soon as I bolt it up.

Watch Mad Max few times in slow motion :p that would give you some ideas:)

MogifiedXJ said:
Yeah...I got a little carried away. It weighs about 300lbs now. The weight isn't that big of an issue, I had to build a complete subframe when I dropped in a cummins 4bt 3.9l turbo deisel, plus it's going to be tied into my exo as soon as I bolt it up.

oooo cummins? subframe? have you posted pics of this yet it sounds like a cool and different rig, and from your username i'm guessin there may be mog portals involved. im curious to see your progress

Strap some old tires to your bumper. :D

Screw deflecting the deer........slice through the deer.

I bought a jeep for parts that had this sketchy bumper someone fabbed up on it and I've been using it ever since to take out trees here in the desert, joshua trees not oaks or pines or anything crazy like that.

Picture a boomorang shaped piece of 1/4" plate that has pieces that run along both sides of the frame rail that intersect the boomorang and butt out about 5 inches away from the boomerang with a hitch reciver in the middle to form this H shape under the boomerang i f that makes any sense at all......

Point is its like a razor blade and I think if you hit a deer with this thing it would slice it up into managble pieces for you to throw into the back or your xj. I've got a pic if someone will post it for me I'm on a PDA phone right now this might be of some help.

shortxjdoug said:
oooo cummins? subframe? have you posted pics of this yet it sounds like a cool and different rig, and from your username i'm guessin there may be mog portals involved. im curious to see your progress

Yeah I've got a set of mogs for it, but I just haven't had the time latley to work on it. I was thinkin about scrapin the axles out anyway and just using the portal boxes and sticking them on some ford 9"s, I don't know though. I'll get some pics up when I get further along

Back