• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to learn how to do my own repair work.

Last November I bought my XJ. It's the first and only vehicle I've owned (I'm 18). Now that I've had it for a few months, I've learned that 1) there is lots of work that should have been performed on it after I bought it, that wasn't performed, and 2) I don't know very much, if anything, about automotive work. I'd like to change both of those things, but am not quite sure where to start.

I have a 1990 XJ (4.0, AX-15, D35). I also have a set of most basic tools, a 1990 Jeep factory service manual, and a willingness to learn. I've done lots of things to my Jeep, but they've all basically been body work (trimming fenders, fighting rust, removing seats and trim). Replacing a front hub assembly is just about the only real 'mechanical' work I've done to the Jeep.

What are some good 'beginner projects' that need to be done after buying a car? I'm thinking about diff fluid and t-case fluid changes, a brake job, replacing the rocker-cover gasket, stuff like that. Where do I start?

As long as you have a repair book, (FSM, Chiltons, Haynes, ect..), and read it throughly, you should be able to do most of the work yourself. Also, if you have any friends that have any mechanical experience, its best even to watch and help them. Hands on experiences is one of the best ways to learn how to do stuff IMHO.

You stated you want to do brakes, VC gasket, Fluid changes, ect.. Id start off with the easy stuff first. The VC gasket is relitavely simple to do. As well as fluid changes. Front brakes are perty self explanitory. Drum brakes can get confusing to one who has never done it. Just use your resourses here on the web, NAXJA, and manuals, and you should do just fine. HTH.

All of those are great places to start. Another good place to start would be to do an all out tune up on it (plugs, wires, cap & rotor). Extremely simple to do on the 4.0...one of the things I love about the 4.0 is how easy everything (for the most part) is to get to and repair.

I'm sorta in the same boat as you. My XJ is my first vehicle as well. Even though my dad was an auto mechanic for most of his life (including while I was growing up), and I knew some things about cars, I'm still learning alot about basic maint. on a vehicle.

Dont take offense to this, but do you change your own oil? Thats about the onl other simple beginner project I can think of.

I forgot to mention, I have a younger brother who races motocross, and he does just about all his own repair work. He's torn all three of his bikes down to the frame and put them back together. But would any of that carry over to a car? I'm guessing that his general sort of mechanical know-how would be handy at least. Plus he's got a nice set of torque wrenches, which I've learned are kind of important in maintainance and repair work.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Dont take offense to this, but do you change your own oil?
No offense taken. I haven't yet, but I am planning to switch to synthetic and start changing it myself (so the total price I pay for an oil change won't change much) when it's been 3000 miles since the most recent one.

I'd not bother with a Haynes manual - they're best used as fire-lighters. A Chilton's is rather better, and costs about the same. Expect to pay about $100 for an FSM, but it's well worth the dosh

Check around your local community colleges, most of them will offer a course or two in basic auto mechanics. You'll pick up a lot there, and they'll usually let you work on your own vehicle as well. Something to consider...

As far as teh XJ-specific stuff, we'll be happy to help you with that, but it should be borne in mind that most of our advice is going to be written with someone who actually knows basic mechanics in mind - so if you do ask technical questions, make sure to tell us to put the answer in simple terms for you. Elsewise, the advice will be of limited utility to you, simply because we're leaving out the basics we'll assume you already know. Also, make sure you tell us year/engine/transmission/axles and the like - some of us give quite a lot of advice, and it's difficult to keep track of who owns what.

As far as basic work, everytime I buy a vehicle, I do a FULL set of fluid/filter changes (to reset the maintenance counter I keep on everything,) and a chassis/suspension/brake inspection. If there's less than 1/16" of friction material over metal surfaces (backing plates and/or rivet heads,) it gets replaced. Tie rod ends are checked for articulation and recovery (can be done easily - use a large pair of channel-locks and gently squeeze the joint. It should compress 1/16" or so and rebound FULLY and IMMEDIATELY.) This can be done with the vehicle on the ground.

A rocker cover gasket and an oil sump gasket both REQUIRE use of a torque wrench - it's very easy to crush those gaskets beyond utility. Use the later moulded rubber gasket for the oil sump, and search up my posts on doing the valve cover gasket - I've covered it a few times.

You'll want a torque wrench that has a "mid-range" of somewhere around 100 pound-inches or 10-11 pound-feet - most instruments are going to be most accurate at the middle third of their range. This applies to most measuring instruments - not just torque wrenches. Valve cover bolts get torqued to NOT MORE THAN 7 pound-feet/84 pound-inches, and oil sump bolts get toruqed to NOT MORE THAN 7 pound-feet/84 pound-inches (1/4" bolts) or 11 pound-feet/132 pound-inches (5/16" bolts at the corners.)

Brakes typically require a "special" socket of some variety for the front - I think either 8m/m hex, 10m/m hex, 3/8" hex, T-40, or something like that. I've got them all, so I don't think about it anymore, and they're usually available at the local parts house. Rear brakes will require a set of spring tools - but you can get those fairly cheaply, and they're almost universal. I do suggest that you remove BOTH tyres/wheels and drums, but only service ONE side at a time - you'll refer to the other for putting it back to rights (I still do.)

The transfer case doesn't have a filter, so no worries there. The automatic transmission will have a filter - the first time, I'll drop the pan to clean the filter and the magnet in the sump pan, and the put it back together. After that, I'll only drop the pan every 3 years or so, since the filter is little more than a coarse screen and only wants occasional cleaning. Draining the transmission fluid so it runs over a magnet will help you catch when something is going awry - a little bit of filings are normal, but a lot can be a problem.

The AX-15 is a manual (obviously!) and therefore won't have a filter - just gear oil to change. Pull the upper/fill plug first, then the lower/drain plug - which will keep the transmission from "burping."

Check for a tag on your rear axle housing that says something like "Use LSD lubricant only" or somesuch - it indicates the presence of a limited-slip differential of some sort, and that requires a special additive. This additive can be used anywhere gear oil is used, so I usually just mix it into my stock of gear oil so I don't forget. I've got one XJ with LSD and three without...

And, don't hesistate to ask (and search!) here if you get cornered - while it may take an hour or so sometimes to get an answer, but you'll get one. Just try to research a major job BEFORE you do it, because that will help keep you out of corners later, and you won't end up posing a "HELP - HURRY PLEASE!" thread and halting work...

5-90

Thanks for that detailed response, 5-90.

5-90 said:
Expect to pay about $100 for an FSM, but it's well worth the dosh
I recently got an FSM, which is why I feel ready to start doing mechanical work myself.

5-90 said:
Check around your local community colleges, most of them will offer a course or two in basic auto mechanics. You'll pick up a lot there, and they'll usually let you work on your own vehicle as well. Something to consider...
Actually, I attend a community college, but it has nothing at all to offer in the way of auto mechanics. There is a vocational school near my house that seems to cater mainly to high-school students; I should probably check that out.

I've been really anal about saving receipts and keeping a maintainance log since I bought the Jeep, but I bought it with no history, no paperwork aside from the owner's manual and the bill of sale. That isn't the best way to buy a car, as I've since learned.

I guess I know what I'll be doing after NACfest -- full fluid changes in everything, a brake job, a valve cover gasket, plugs et c., and whatever else I can afford to do.

Mambeu, I just want to commend you on undertaking this learning. Its not difficult to do, but there is often a cult of secrecy around repairs and maintenance. The more you learn, the bigger asset you will become to yourself, your family and friends.

At 18 you have an advantage in that you probably don't have a lot of shitty lessons you need to unlearn before learning to do things right! There is an enormous wealth of information available on the web and in books, and you will do yourself right by researching everything you can on different components as the need arises. Keep asking and learning and before you know it, you'll be an expert on your own vehicle.

I love my XJ more than the wife and kids right now (don't tell!), and part of it is related to the fact that I feel comfortable undertaking pretty much anything to do with it. If I don't know already, I can trust that someone on this site will know how or at least be able to point me in the right direction.

Once again, good on ya buddy!

:D

Beej said:
There is an enormous wealth of information available on the web and in books, and you will do yourself right by researching everything you can on different components as the need arises. Keep asking and learning and before you know it, you'll be an expert on your own vehicle.
It's wierd, really; with all the reading I do on this site and others, I often have to stop myself from answering questions on repairs and modifications because I don't have any direct experience with the topic, only what I've read. I have enough theoretical knowledge to get myself into trouble; I want some practical knowledge of how my Jeep actually works.

I disagree about the haynes manual being a fire starter. I love mine and has allways worked me through anything I've attempted (oem).

mdl said:
I disagree about the haynes manual being a fire starter. I love mine and has allways worked me through anything I've attempted (oem).
I've leafed through a Haynes before, and after getting an FSM, there's no comparison. The section in my FSM on the 1990 AW4 (200-odd pages) is about the same length as an entire Haynes manual, which covers what? all years of XJ? Not saying it's only useful to prop up crooked table, but I'm glad I put that money towards an FSM instead.

If you weren't on the other side of the country, I'd take you under my wing and teach you myself - I always do enjoy teaching someone who is willing to learn.

Do feel free to ask - you've got the right attitude to learn! Just make sure to keep track of what you DON'T know, as well as what you DO know - I am inclined to think that knowing what you don't know is more important than knowing what you do know, since it helps to delineate your limitations and points out what you need to focus on when learning.

There's nothing wrong with answering questions - but you are correct to base your answers upon experience somehow. It is also important to make sure readers know when you're guessing - so be sure to say so!

I would definitely suggest either taking a class or three somewhere (if you can't get them at school proper, see if you can't take some basic cases in a VoTech school, or even an Adult Ed centre) or finding a relative who has been doing this for a while and won't mind teaching you - my grandfather and my uncles got me started, and it took me a number of years to surpass them in a few fields (although certainly not all - it's a matter of differint talents.)

As far as relative like - I don't love my XJ more than my wife (gotta be honest here...) and my kids have moved out, and therefore have to look after themselves. Still, they're up there - I'm always willing to buy more, if I have the opportunity...

5-90

Also I forgot to add one thing....remember this general rule when tearing apart something and putting it back together...assembley is the opposite of disassembley. Remember that and your good to go!

And Just to let you know, an oil change for me costs me about $30-31, and I do it myself. About $26 or so for 6 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic at wally world, and about $6 or so for the Napa Gold oil Filter. Don't cheap out on the filter...Fram = BAD!!! I've had nothing but good with Napa Gold and they're not that expensive, like I said around $6 or so. They're made by Wix if im not mistaken, and thats one of the best brands out there. And make sure you get a good grease gun with some good grease and grease up all those joints at each change. There are 7 to grease if i'm not mistaken.

Fixing things is a piece of cake, figuring out the correct thing to fix, on the other hand, is where I usually go wrong.

5-90 said:
If you weren't on the other side of the country, I'd take you under my wing and teach you myself - I always do enjoy teaching someone who is willing to learn.

Do feel free to ask - you've got the right attitude to learn! Just make sure to keep track of what you DON'T know, as well as what you DO know - I am inclined to think that knowing what you don't know is more important than knowing what you do know, since it helps to delineate your limitations and points out what you need to focus on when learning.

There's nothing wrong with answering questions - but you are correct to base your answers upon experience somehow. It is also important to make sure readers know when you're guessing - so be sure to say so!

I would definitely suggest either taking a class or three somewhere (if you can't get them at school proper, see if you can't take some basic cases in a VoTech school, or even an Adult Ed centre) or finding a relative who has been doing this for a while and won't mind teaching you - my grandfather and my uncles got me started, and it took me a number of years to surpass them in a few fields (although certainly not all - it's a matter of differint talents.)

As far as relative like - I don't love my XJ more than my wife (gotta be honest here...) and my kids have moved out, and therefore have to look after themselves. Still, they're up there - I'm always willing to buy more, if I have the opportunity...

5-90
:rtm:

Young Caine: "old man, how is it that you hear these things?"
Master Po: "young man, how is it that you do not?"

Jules - "Then, basically, I'm gonna walk the earth."
Vincent - "What do you mean, walk the earth?"
Jules - "You know, like Caine in KUNG FU. Just walk from town to town, meet people, get in adventures."

5-90 said:

5-90
Holy crap Jon! How did you end up with kids old enough to move out at your age?

If you are just starting out, here are a couple of useful tips. If you are going to be undertaking a large project or one that may take more than one day to do have a digital camera handy and take some pictures before and during the proces to refer back to. It will also help you out if you get some ziplock bags you can write on and label the hardware for each component seperately so you are not left with a big pile of mixed up nuts and bolts. The only manual I would recommend besides the FSM is a Bentley maual. They are not cheap but are well worth their money.

Beej said:
Holy crap Jon! How did you end up with kids old enough to move out at your age?

Easy - she's 17 years older than I am! Granted, they weren't mine, but they are in my mind, and that's all that matters, no?

Besides, to be perfectly honest, I didn't want kids of my own. I am NO GOOD AT ALL with kids, and never have been. I couldn't even deal with my kid sister (11 years younger than me) until she was eight or nine, and could start actually communicating, rather than just talking.

And Gawd, but I HATE kid's shows! Damn, do they ever suck these days!

5-90

Probably one of the fastest and best ways to get up to speed is to real quick now sign up at your local vo-tech for their basic automotive repair course. Every vo-tech I've seen has one, either run out of the HS or out of a seperate vo-tech. They usually run about 12 weeks over the normal year and they sometimes have accelerated ones during the summer sessions. Not only will they give you the knowledge but they also provide the basic and quite a few advanced tools plus you generally work on your own vehicle. Having the factory service manual puts you WAY AHEAD for this. I've done a few of them for body work and paint, both were a very good way to spend time learning.

Good for you man! I'm in the same boat but a little older(27). I was raised with no mechanic knowledge, parents always took our problems to a shop. In the 2 months I've owned my XJ I already know more than my 62 yr old dad ever has. I've been thinking about taking an intro course, just gotta find the time. I bought a Haynes manual, been really helpful, but I've been considering getting an FSM. Anyone know where to get one?

GOOD GOIN GUYS!!!!
Im always glad to see new guys showing a interest in fixing thier own heep. I was lucky enought o grow up at a chevy dealer sitting on my Dad's tool box but I honestly have learned more by actually doing the work myself. Don't be shy asking questions and searching the forums for answers. Best advice I can give is find a friend with jeep experience and ask him for help doing stuff like drum brakes and anything you arnt comfortable doing on your own. Hell I still ask my Dad for advice and despite his grumbleings hes learned a few things too

Back