• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think my belt is routed wrong (cooling issue)

well way back in jan 07 when I put the engine in it was running kinda hot and our first guess was the water pump was spinning the wrong way, but then we got drunk and the jeep sat for a year without much driving and I forgot....now it's my DD

Rule of thumb on belt routing:

Shiny pulleys get the back of the belt

Grooved pulleys get the ribbed side of the belt.

so inbetween screaming fits by the baby I read that normal operating temps are between 180 and 230, mine has been sitting between 210 and 230ish (or whatever the last white line is) until it started overheating now once I get up to highway speed it dips into the red and then goes way down and hovers around 220

took it for a spin and this happened againbut idled in a parking lot with the heat off and it didn't overheat, since now my heat works again I am thinking bad t-stat, that and I badly need a flush and a new bypass hose, pinched the upper hose while it was hot and felt water moving so I imagine the pump is correct?

H8PVMT said:
so inbetween screaming fits by the baby I read that normal operating temps are between 180 and 230, mine has been sitting between 210 and 230ish (or whatever the last white line is) until it started overheating now once I get up to highway speed it dips into the red and then goes way down and hovers around 220

took it for a spin and this happened againbut idled in a parking lot with the heat off and it didn't overheat, since now my heat works again I am thinking bad t-stat, that and I badly need a flush and a new bypass hose, pinched the upper hose while it was hot and felt water moving so I imagine the pump is correct?

Check the temp sensor maybe thats bad.
http://members.cox.net/wilsond/Fixes/diagnostics.html#CPSdetails

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out already but either belt routing pushes the water pump the same way. They changed the routing in 96 with the revision of the power steering pump and the changed location of the idler pulley but no matter what the routing they both push the water pumps the same:counterclockwise. All pumps from 87-01 XJs are the same for what it's worth.
This is a 96+ real belt routing...however this was on my 1990 since I had modified it to run with a 99+ intake/accessories. It worked fine with my 1990's water pump so that shouldn't be your problem.
BeltRouting001.jpg

Last edited:
Are you SURE its overheating? That plug you showed by the oil pan. The 2-wire plug is the Coolant Temp Sensor and the sucker plugged into the block is the knock sensor.

That may be the extent of your problem right there?

And I wouldn't call 230 normal operating temperature....that's hot. 210 is normal operating temperature.

My 88 spins counter-clockwise, my 98 that I had was counter-clockwise, and all the pics that were posted were counter-clockwise, are you sure that they don't all spin that way?

MiNi Beast said:
Do people read this whole tread before they post?
Sorry, I must have skipped that post when I went to get another beer:wierd:

88 Wagonman said:
My 88 spins counter-clockwise, my 98 that I had was counter-clockwise, and all the pics that were posted were counter-clockwise, are you sure that they don't all spin that way?

Dign, ding, ding! We have a winner. All of the 4.0l engines used a reverse rotation. The 4.2l engines used a regular rotation, and if the auto store screws up and gives you a 4.2l water pump it will bolt up and leave you scratching you head wondering why its over heating.

thanks guys, I'm gonna replace the waterpump and t-stat this week and find where the other ends of those wires are and hopefully I can get this thing back on the road

doug

H8PVMT said:
also....anyone know where these connect to? from drivers side of engine, both connected to the block
jeep006.jpg

The bottom part of that is the knock sensor. It srcews into the side of the block. The connector above that I am not sure.

figured it out I think, top wire is the oil level sender and here's the winner

I removed my ac condenser and had those plugs hanging around, completed the circut and now when I turn my a/c on the aux fan works perfect, we'll see how it holds up in traffic in NYC this afternoon.

thanks everyone

still going to replace the water pump and thermo though

H8PVMT said:
figured it out I think, top wire is the oil level sender and here's the winner

I removed my ac condenser and had those plugs hanging around, completed the circut and now when I turn my a/c on the aux fan works perfect, we'll see how it holds up in traffic in NYC this afternoon.

thanks everyone

still going to replace the water pump and thermo though

Gotta love pics. Good Luck with it hope that cures your problems.:cheers:

Back