• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think I'm warming to the idea of hybrid/electric 4x4

STRYKER

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=6149

Summary....

LOS ANGELES -- General Motors is testing a new all-wheel-drive layout for gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles that places electric motors in each of the front or rear wheels.

The system would work in front-wheel drive cars and rear-wheel-drive pickup trucks, the automaker said Monday. In cars, a gasoline-powered engine would drive the front wheels and separate electric motors would power rear wheels. The reverse would be true in pickup trucks.

GM Vice President for Research and Development Larry Burns said GM envisions producing all-wheel-drive gasoline-electric hybrids by 2010. He said an all-wheel drive hybrid with GM's wheel-motor system would improve steering, traction in bad weather, braking and acceleration.

The automaker demonstrated this by racing a Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck with electric wheel motors in each of the rear wheels, against a gasoline-powered Chevrolet Camaro on a drag strip. The S-10 easily overpowered the Camaro.

A pair of wheel motors generate about 180 hp, Burns said, and deliver a 60 percent improvement in torque.

The 300-volt liquid-cooled electric motors are rated at 25 kilowatts each.

saw a neat article in a mag. a while ago that compared an electric conversion FJ to a regular gas 4 cyl FJ. Lots of neat info. Looks to cost alot to convert to elec but the torque numbers were insane. I've always wanted to try it. Maybe if I have 8k(?) to spend it would be neat to covert an xj.

I drove an EV1 at an invite only test day organized by GM (the drive GM and all competition including BMW and Merz day).... acceleration was pretty good and I felt like a rocket pilot being driven into his seat! Electric motors do have great acceleration..... but when they top out they top out.

As a side note, interesting "greenie" concept is that in Europe I know of couple XJ owners who have done an LP conversion for their XJ's and now they run on Gas.....

Kejtar

When you say LP are you talking about LP propane. I used to have a 79 f150 that ran on either LP or gasoline. LP does not have as much PEAK horsepower. But it is 100 times more responsive then gas. Even more so then fuel injection. As so as your petal hits the floor you have full power. And the faster you go the more power you make.(no carb to slow you down.) Plus it will operate at any angle. An excellent fuel for wheeling. Plus it is hard to kill a motor on lp.
And your exhaust will probably never rust out. I ran lp for 4 years and my exhaust looked brand new.

LP RULES

PNW01XJ said:
When you say LP are you talking about LP propane. I used to have a 79 f150 that ran on either LP or gasoline. LP does not have as much PEAK horsepower. But it is 100 times more responsive then gas. Even more so then fuel injection. As so as your petal hits the floor you have full power. And the faster you go the more power you make.(no carb to slow you down.) Plus it will operate at any angle. An excellent fuel for wheeling. Plus it is hard to kill a motor on lp.
And your exhaust will probably never rust out. I ran lp for 4 years and my exhaust looked brand new.

LP RULES

I'd love to go LP, but I've heard that it eats seals and gaskets for breakfast.....

STRYKER said:
I'd love to go LP, but I've heard that it eats seals and gaskets for breakfast.....

Dunno about that. Propane powered rigs have some of the cleanest interals around. Maintained properly, they can outlast a gasoline powered rig.

Glenn Baker said:
Dunno about that. Propane powered rigs have some of the cleanest interals around. Maintained properly, they can outlast a gasoline powered rig.

Thats right. seals and gaskets last longer in a propane engine than a gasoline. :yep:

Jeep Biscuit said:
Thats right. seals and gaskets last longer in a propane engine than a gasoline. :yep:

I think that the person who told me this was referring to the older fuel engines. I also think he was referring to alcohol fuels. Fuel injection changed everything. Newer engines actually benefit from CNG, and can even do alcohol better.

I'm planing on Useing LP in my MJ rock buggie. And from what i've found you can make realy good power with it if you build the motor for it like using higher compression. The only thing I haven't found out yet is how much fuel it uses compared to gas it's suposed to be better but if your out in the boonies and you run out how do ya get out.

Back