• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need to get the hell out of LA

In 02-04, we were renting a 1bd aptment in Costa Mesa for $1000/mo with a 2 car garage. I never thought that we'd be able to buy a home but somehow we saved enough money for a down payment. getting into a home is a long term money maker if you play it right. They say the younger you are when you own real estate, the more wealthier. tax write-offs are helping big.

My wife wants to move back to Chicago where we have family and the housing is a little cheaper but taxes are HIGHER and the job market stinks.

You have a few choices...
1. move out to BFE or the hood to save on housing
2. get a higher paying job. Making job changes is stressful and sometimes hard to do but its for the best. EX: I'm moving roles within the same company here and my new position pays me 10K more and will be less stressful and I get to do less. :)
3. Pay off your high interest debt asap. PB n J sandwiches are tasty but so is getting closer to being debt free.
4. Go back to school part-time in the evenings to help you score a better job.
5. Start-up your own graphics biz. You do a great job on photoshop and logos, etc. Running a dba gives you more ability to write-off computer/biz related expenses but just be profitable after a couple of years.

IGOCOMMANDO said:
Hey, Don't be dissin' Idaho till you at least check it out...
This is a great place to live and awesome to wheel but, like everywhere else the economy sucks. I just saw a 3 bed/2 bath home going for 140K so there are deals here. Lot's of foreclosures to look at too.
im not dissing idaho, i just dont want to move out there and have to spend alot of time with my wifes ex husbands family. not my thing. because she has kids with him its making this difficult.

FordGuy said:
Grimm, you need to get out of Napa! I pay my stock guy 2k a month and our counter guys make around 3500-4500 a month. Yea you can't sit and surf NAXJA all day, but you could double your pay.
is that a job offer rich? ;)

mattafact said:
I pay $300 a month to live in a converted car port with a gas leak. We do it big out here in Banning.

that was hilarious, i can't believe nobody responded to that.

GrimmJeeper said:
is that a job offer rich? ;)

We are good with staff right now, but I will keep my ears out. I am just suggesting for the long term, a dealer might be worth getting into. obviously times are tough Right now, but when the economy picks up you might want to start getting some feelers out there.

The good thing is that a entry level position in a dealers parts dept is about what Napa pays, so it;s not like you would take a huge hit to start and a couple years down the road you would be making good pay.

Thanks everyone for the advice, the help, the emails, the PMs.. lol you guys are great.

im going to be seriously looking at moving south towards SD, if i can find work for either me or my wife.

:cheers:

GrimmJeeper said:
Thanks everyone for the advice, the help, the emails, the PMs.. lol you guys are great.

im going to be seriously looking at moving south towards SD, if i can find work for either me or my wife.

:cheers:

SD is a cool place to live dude. i lived there for 18 years before moving to the OC. and i am moving back to SD after this school year...

good luck finding a job. let me know if you wanna go down to look at houses or anything...i know east county really really well and thats where i will be moving.

just come to the 909/760 lol you'll have johnson valley, big bear, cleghorn, calico, the rock garden nearby. =D

GSequoia said:
Bah, you weren't there anyway. :helpme:

PS - Leave your Napa discount please.
it will still carry on for the club, just call the store and ask if the jeep club discount is still available.

I know where you are coming from mike, money is so tight right now my ass hurts. Would love to see you stay, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Good Luck!

great idea mike!

move out of LA just as i am getting ready to move in!

You could always move to Colorado and get a job at the Coors plant. From what I understand, and have seen, you keep that company going :D

Back