• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need help re-centering my front axle.

Baffled as to the cause, unless the frame rail or bracket are bent. At this point I would just redrill the axle side bracket to pull the axle back over enough to clear the coil.

Any idea on what the 'normal' clearance is between the coil and the trackbar bracket?
Ill take a look at work, there may be a couple stock or stockish XJs lying around there I can look at and measure for ya. I will also try to get a frame rail and mount measurement.
The trackbar is really the only thing that controls where the axle is positioned left to right, so it pretty much has to be something in that area...assuming there aren't any wheel spacers and the wheels have the same offset.
I'm almost as curious as you as to what's causing this at this point, haha.

Yeah, that would be excellent. I'll be able to double check both my measurements against yours. I bought the wheels as a set, but I can double check them too.

At the end of the day the wheels will effect nothing with regards to the axle itself being centered. Especially since you issue is not a tire obviously sticking out more than another but your coil vs trackbar bracket. Wheels don't make any difference there

At the end of the day the wheels will effect nothing with regards to the axle itself being centered. Especially since you issue is not a tire obviously sticking out more than another but your coil vs trackbar bracket. Wheels don't make any difference there

Unless they are being used to determine center and there is something off about them. That's why you should use a fixed spot on the axle itself to determine center. Unit bearing being larger, axle shaft flange difference, wheel spacing, wheel material thickness could all make it appear off center. I think we're looking at an inch off so minor changes can add up there.

You may want to take some measurements to verify the frame rail is not tweaked. I am having difficulty understanding how a stock track bar on a lifted vehicle would push the axle to the passenger side, unless something is tweaked. Why is the drivers side door a different color than the rest of the vehicle?

Last edited:

Well, when you look at it in person, the passenger wheel is noticeably further our than the driver wheel.

Unless they are being used to determine center and there is something off about them. That's why you should use a fixed spot on the axle itself to determine center. Unit bearing being larger, axle shaft flange difference, wheel spacing, wheel material thickness could all make it appear off center. I think we're looking at an inch off so minor changes can add up there.

When I did all the work, I did everything at once, so I'd hope that the parts where identically made on each side. Where would be a good place to measure from/to?

You may want to take some measurements to verify the frame rail is not tweaked. I am having difficulty understanding how a stock track bar on a lifted vehicle would push the axle to the passenger side, unless something is tweaked. Why is the drivers side door a different color than the rest of the vehicle?

I'll check out the frame rails. Nothing stuck out immediately visually, but I'll put a tape on it. THe door is a different color because it was stolen and the original door had holes ripped in it.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would be excellent. I'll be able to double check both my measurements against yours. I bought the wheels as a set, but I can double check them too.
Sorry, didn't have a chance yesterday, I'll try again today.

Alright, I managed to take a few measurements from a stock XJ with a centered axle:
-Between the frame rails, right in front of the track bar bracket and not including the pinch seams is 27"
-The trackbar itself is about 31 1/8" from center of eye to center of joint.
-And the distance from the inside of the frame rail on the passenger side, to the center of the hole in the trackbar mount is 26 5/8"

Here are a few pics to better show where I measured from (note, there is currently no motor in that XJ):
IMG_20160309_132051369_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160309_132034921.jpg

IMG_20160309_131925716.jpg

Thank you so much. I'm going to have some time this weekend to pull the tires and do some more measuring, so I'll be back with my findings.

Ok, I had some time to fool around with this stupid jeep.

I wasn't able to get an accurate measurement between the frame rails due to the pesky engine being in the way.

The Moog track bar was longer than the one I took off. I bought an Autozone brand to compare.
Original: ~31 1/4
Moog: ~ 31 5/8
Autozone : ~ 31 3/8

I also had a hard time measuring between the frame rail and the trackbar mounting bracket. I couldn't manage to get a consistent reading.

That being said, I did manage some other measurements:

1. Upper ball joint nipple to frame rail: driver: 8 3/8", passenger 9 3/4"
2. Height of springs + spacer: both sides: 13"
3. Upper ball joint nipple to rear LCA bolt: both sides: 20 1/4"

So what I'm seeing here is a movement of roughly .75" of the axle to the passenger side. I don't see any substantial difference in how far back the axle is, so I know it's not cockeyed to one side.

while the Moog TB was somewhat longer, I don't think that that is the problem with the axle.

Last edited:
I have an engine.

e: also, less weight would simulate a lift, which would pull the TB to the driver side, yes?

Still here...but still puzzled! The only thing I can think of is that something is bent somewhere. Your LCAs are even, nothing else seems off, etc... The only thing that centers the axle is the trackbar and the 3/8" difference between the Moog and stock bar isn't going to make the difference you are seeing.
The only conclusion for a fix I can think of is an adjustable bar, most allow enough adjustment either direction so you should be able to center the axle.

Ugghhh. Maybe I'll take it to a shop; maybe they can see something I missed. Obviously something is amiss so maybe a more experienced eyeball would find what I missed. Failing that, seems my only recourse is an adjustable trackbar.

Back