• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I HAVE to get this fixed.

do this take the front drive shaft out and try braking, will take 5 mins to do worth a shot, if it dont work Hasta me

It sounds like it's a u joint problem in either the front or rear driveshaft. I had a problem similar to this not long ago where when braking for a stop sign at the bottom of a steep hill would sound like the engine was going to fall out. Crawled under the jeep and the front u joint in the rear driveshaft one lobe has lost almost all of the needle bearings and the lobe was almost completely chewed off allowing it to knock around inside the cap. Not saying this is the same as yours but would be a good starting point to check all the u joints in both drive shafts for ANY play or movement.

dave92cherokee said:
It sounds like it's a u joint problem in either the front or rear driveshaft. I had a problem similar to this not long ago where when braking for a stop sign at the bottom of a steep hill would sound like the engine was going to fall out. Crawled under the jeep and the front u joint in the rear driveshaft one lobe has lost almost all of the needle bearings and the lobe was almost completely chewed off allowing it to knock around inside the cap. Not saying this is the same as yours but would be a good starting point to check all the u joints in both drive shafts for ANY play or movement.

x222!

What tcase? If you are running full time 4wd, I might think of a wheel ujoint. I have also seen a racked rim do the same thing.

dave92cherokee said:

x3
i had this same probelm.. it was my rear drive shaft.... same noises and clicking and what not u are explaining to us.. took it out put it in 4wd noise and thumping stopped... replaced it... and it stopped.:roll: :thumbup:

Check your exhaust downpipe. If it's a little too low for some reason then that clicking noise you're hearin is your front drive shaft u-joint click as it spins against your downpipe. The problem is, the only time you're under the jeep is when it's on a rack. And if it's on a two-post rack then the suspension's at full droop so it LOOKS like you've got plenty of clearance between the front drive shaft and downpipe but on the ground there's actually not very much at all. Ya, check that.

Back