• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I hate RTV

XJjeepLess said:
X2, I use that chit at work all the time...
Me goopered my phone so yousers cant-a use it. Ha-Ha!
rtvphone.JPG

Fixed it!:thumbup:

5-90 said:
What RTV?

For low-temperature and general-purpose use, I'll typically reach for the RTV Black. High temperature? RTV Red. Self-grounding sensors or hot gasses? RTV Copper.
Good advice.

<Humor mode ON>One time, when I had to replace my thermostat under "emergency" conditions, the only RTV I had was white "GE Silicone Bathtub Caulk", which is a type of RTV. I used that stuff, in conjunction with a gasket, and it lasted many 10's of thousands of miles with no leaks. NOTE--I do NOT endorse using this type of RTV as a regular substitute for the stuff intended for automotive applications!!!
<Humor mode OFF>

I'm RTV phobic. I have a transfer case that seeps because of it. The case halves were as clean as could be when I reassembled it. I guess you have to have "the magic touch."

I used to use RTV on the "important" items, such as trannies and transfer cases... until I heard about anaerobic sealer. Like others have already mentioned, the Gasket Eliminator, etc. products are great. Why? Anaerobic sealant dries only in the absence of oxygen, which means it's only going to bond to the surfaces clamped together. Any extra goop will remain gelatinous and will eventually be worked free by the lubricating oil of the tranny/case itself... a simple fluid change will get rid of all of the excess. I've never seen it hurt any moving parts, either (though I don't usually go overkill on application).

For diffs and other small items, I still use RTV mainly because it's cheaper and probably a little more pliable if you have to take things apart. It seems like I'm always changing axle fluid...

You must be using the cheap stuff. Try permatex Ultra Grey. Way easy to work with and is great for joining xfer cases and fwd trannys. Use it for both the xfer case, and manual transmissions on my honda's. No leaks.

well after 2 more failed attempts i finally got the case back together and let it sit over night since it's a bit cold out.

now the f****** t-case won't shift/engage right. i tried turning the input/output shafts by hand and as far as i can tell i have 3 neutrals and 1 4wd. i've worked on jeeps for years, but this is my first time pulling a tranny and t-case and putting in a SYE. and i'll i can say, is it's not worth the headache. i'll do anything else on my jeep, but i'm never ever pulling the t-case or tranny again. i'm gonna finish putting my rear axle together and hook up my new steering system, and then i'm gonna pay somebody to figure out what's wrong with the stupid t-case and hang the tranny back up. this is the first time ever that i quit on a job, but this thing ain't worth the headache.

I feel your pain and wish I could come over and help ya out. If it ain't shifting right it could be the mode sleeve is on the mode fork backwards or you missed a snap ring installation. Exploded the magnet on my first one trying to force it together. You almost need a third hand to slap it back together.

I know from experience that looking at an exploded diagram can give you a headache if you haven't done it once or twice. Don't beat youself up about it you did you best. Putting together a NP231 can be real PITA. Regardless, exploding your truck's transfer case will just cause you more pain.

Don't let that NP231 whip ya down man. Take it to a pro and have him put it together for you. He can show you where the problem inside is and make you a more knowledgable in the process. Whip it's butt back into shape and learn from a someone who's done it once or twice.

well i did some other work that i knew i wasn't going to have problems with, and that put me in a better mood. building my new rear dana44 from ground up(new housing, new gears,new detroit, etc..etc..etc..) and other stuff.
i got somebody coming over on sunday to check out the t-case and set it up properly. i'm really pissed though. this is the first time that i didn't finish something on my own. i don't mind having somebody teach me something, but this looked so simple. $10 says my ego is gonna make me rip that thing apart again on saturday and try it myself again. i just can't believe that something that simple looking is kicking my ass. hell my first major job ever was replacing valve stem seals and manualy adjusting the backlash on the rocker arms in my 84 corvette. i didn't even screw that up. and i had never done any car work before that. now after 4 years of working on jeeps and a stupid t-case kicks my ass. unbelievable.

sorry if i'm going on and on, but this is just stupid.

When I did mine I found the directions from JB conversions had rather hard to figure diagrams. Thank goodness the Teralow directions helped me through. Since then I've had quite a few headscratcher that bugged me too. I got a OEM Factory Service Manual and since then working on the XJ had been kinder to me. A CD can be bought on Ebay for about $20.00 shipping included and buys alot of piece of mind.

WobblesXJ said:
wow, I've never heard of anyone having so much troubles with the sye conversion. Sorry man.

somebody hates me. LOL

so i left the t-case alone for a couple days and worked on other stuff. everything else went great, and i started getting in a better mood. so today i keep working on the t-case and get everything done, go to put the last piece on. the rear yoke. as i test fit it by hand, i was thinking that the seal didn't look like it was big enough for the yoke. well maybe once i put the yoke in, it'll slip over it. so i start tightening it by hand, and it's going really hard. so i try tightening with my impact just a little. it doesn't seem to wanna go. then i tried spinning the yoke by hand, and the whole thing is seized up. nothing moves, turns, or does anything else.

so i call advanced adapters, he has me take the yoke of and read the part number to him.

guess what???............they send me a non-double cardon yoke which was also to big for the seal. now the kit didn't come in seperate pieces. everything came nicely packaged in one box. so somebody packed the wrong parts together. so the guy has me "test fit" it on to the tom woods driveshaft that they send me with the kit. well that end of the yoke doesn't fit neither. not only does it not fit the u-joints on the driveshaft properly, it doesn't even line up with the holes for the little u-joint clamps.

i have never ever ordered anything for my jeep that i had this many problems with. oh well. at least everything else on this jeep buildup project went nicely. now that would have sucked, if both axles buildups, the lift, and everything else would have went like this t-case. can't have everything go smoothly i guess. so i'll just go hang my new bumper and winch while i wait for my new --hopefully this time correct---parts.

Back