• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got a dillema...

being a mechanic for living. It surprises people how a LITTLE lift can mess stuff up. They need to be corrected or you can kiss those tires goodbye.

thats why i said get adjustables so you can adjust the pinion until its where you are happy. im not trying to get you mad or tell you what to do im just trying to help

polar_jeep_04 said:
thats why i said get adjustables so you can adjust the pinion until its where you are happy. im not trying to get you mad or tell you what to do im just trying to help

alright, i was just kind of hoping to hear from some other people on pinion angle vibes to see what other people have done about it, before I go out and buy adjustables.

and yes, adjustables are what i need, BUT, money doesn't always allow one to go out and buy whatever whenever. It drives fine right now, but adjustables are in the future.

ty20404 said:
alright, i was just kind of hoping to hear from some other people on pinion angle vibes to see what other people have done about it, before I go out and buy adjustables.

and yes, adjustables are what i need, BUT, money doesn't always allow one to go out and buy whatever whenever. It drives fine right now, but adjustables are in the future.
I know $ are a factor, BUT YOU are the one that want to at 5. personally unless your running 35's or 37's , there is no reason to be that high..

well, i have a 2 inch coil spacer in there now. What would it do to have a slightly longer LCA (for a 4.5 inch lift) on a jeep with 4 inches of lift? (with a 1 inch spacer instead of 2)

but then again, I could just go get some new coil spring isolators and put those in for a half inch, considering i threw the old rotted ones out.

or you think I could dremel the 2 inch ones down a half inch?

A potentially silly question. Do the vibes go away if you pull the front shaft? Just trying to make sure you're vibes aren't from the rear which seems more sensitive to lifts as they are short in the XJ. While you have the shaft off take a good look at the u-joints. Used u-joints tend to wear out fast when you increase their angle. In the front, ideally the pinion is pointing at the xfer case but some misalignment is fine.

Despite doom&gloom iagreen, many folks are running 4.5 and 5" lifts in the front with nothing more than longer LCAs to keep the caster within the acceptable range. This includes me, btw.

Are we gonna argue about this for the next 4 days? If you are at 5, you need adjustables uppers and lowers, or this no way I would aligne it period.

lawsoncl said:
A potentially silly question. Do the vibes go away if you pull the front shaft? Just trying to make sure you're vibes aren't from the rear which seems more sensitive to lifts as they are short in the XJ. While you have the shaft off take a good look at the u-joints. Used u-joints tend to wear out fast when you increase their angle. In the front, ideally the pinion is pointing at the xfer case but some misalignment is fine.

Despite doom&gloom iagreen, many folks are running 4.5 and 5" lifts in the front with nothing more than longer LCAs to keep the caster within the acceptable range. This includes me, btw.

the front DS has brand new U-joints. and i ran no front DS when I drove from Wilmington to NY and it was smooth as a baby's ass.

alright, so yes i do need longer control arms but the amount of caster that would be changed would be almost minimal...

A two inch BB never utilizes different control arms and the amount that the caster would be changed with a 2" seems as though it would be greater than my situation.

Anyways... Here is my question: Even for those of you that are running the appropriate control arm lengths for a 5" lift, do you not have any vibration coming from the front pinion/DS angle? I know for a fact that this is where my vibe is coming from and the angle visually looks to be in the 10 degree area... I know that having the appropriate control arm lengths wouldn't combat this problem. The vibe is too bad to drive w/ the DS on at highway speeds.

ty20404 said:
alright, so yes i do need longer control arms but the amount of caster that would be changed would be almost minimal...

A two inch BB never utilizes different control arms and the amount that the caster would be changed with a 2" seems as though it would be greater than my situation.

Anyways... Here is my question: Even for those of you that are running the appropriate control arm lengths for a 5" lift, do you not have any vibration coming from the front pinion/DS angle? I know for a fact that this is where my vibe is coming from and the angle visually looks to be in the 10 degree area... I know that having the appropriate control arm lengths wouldn't combat this problem. The vibe is too bad to drive w/ the DS on at highway speeds.

I have the RE superflex kit, and ya I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. its the 3.4" kit, but obviously sits more like 4.5" (full packs and small spacer to level it out) Your thread is the reason I dont post to ask about it though:dunce:

The LCAs for my application (which are stock re control arms) are doing exactly what your describing. The axle is tilted towards the ground, making the front shaft out of line with the TC and causing vibes. Same thing for me, if I pull the front shaft I can do highway speeds without any vibes at all. My solution is getting UCA's. I got RE superflex ones to go along with the rest of my RE stuff. With that I can move my LCAs more forward in the slots, and make the tops a little bit longer to tilt the pinion the tiny bit it needs to get the better angle and hopefully do away with the vibes. Its up on jackstands right now so once I get the time and muscle to break more rusty bolts free, I'll let ya know how it works out for me.

FWIW the RE control arms I got from fullsizexjgear for around 200. Rough country does have some, and like already quoted they are around 150. Not to bad of an investment if it works considering I just dropped $550 on tires that I want to last as long as possible!!

Visually looking at a d-shaft isn't going to tell you how many degrees your off. So eye-balling it means nothing. Put an angle finder on there.

As a few have already told you, you need adj. UCA's, and LCA's for that much lift... IF you want to ease some of the d-vibes, and get your caster to appropriate specs.

Your also at the edge of needing some drop brackets from RE, or long arms. Your Jeep would ride, and wheel much better with them.

How are your shocks? I bet they are your flex ext. limit now (hopefully not your brake lines).

I've had lifts on an XJ from a BB up tp 10+ inches of lift. My best set-up with out d-line vibes was 6-7"es of lift with RE drop brackets and Tereflex adj. CA's. I had an RE HD trac bar, Currie HD steering, and Warn lock-out hubs. The front axle was pushed forward about 2"es with custom fabbed front sway bar mounts.

More lift=more fab work, or more $$ for those of us that can't make their own stuff.

ty20404 said:
Alright, so I'm sitting at about 5" of lift up front and I'm running LCAs for 4.5" of lift.

I'm at 6" & running UCA's & LCA's for a 4.5" lift & have none of the problems you describe. JIM.

Back