• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't find it!!!

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for laws on wether or not its legal to drive without doors as long as you have seatbelts in Oregon. Does anyone know? Or does anyone have a link to a list of motor vehicle laws? Google failed me again...

CanMan said:
Pdeexj(Brian) drove without doors, IIRC.

I have not searched but I am pretty certain that as long as the vehicle came with doors it needs to have them. So if you have a YJ or CJ, or similar then they might not be necesary, but with the XJ you do need them.
Again, I have not searched, just my understanding.
Michael

In Washington state it is illegal to drive door-less on roads/highways. I was ticketed for trying it 2 years ago.

-Jeremy

Megawatt said:
In Washington state it is illegal to drive door-less on roads/highways. I was ticketed for trying it 2 years ago.

-Jeremy

Is that for all vehicles or what Michael said about coming with doors? My friend and I used to drive his tj around with no doors or top in the summer.

-Alex

What about gettin those tube doors from whoever it is that wheelinJR works for? Im being vague here but I know that a company out of oregon sells 4 dr sets of tube doors, and they look pretty good.

-Alex

I'll try and find the specifics, but basically Michael is correct.

When it comes to the tube doors, there's specifics on how much area has to be covered, how far above the floor pan they have to be, what they have to use for latches, etc. It's been discussed on TC, I'll look for it.

J

XJ4.jpg

My wife got pulled over one day while driving like this but the officer said it was because she didnt have mirrors!

so maybe the door thing applies to ALL jeeps in the eyes of some orficers.

door thing meaning i'm pretty sure it's okay to drive with no doors in a wrangler. but not 100% i'll do some searching

85xj4dr said:
Damn. Well, Skip the doorless mod then.
You'll get away with it in Oregon, I drove a ton last summer without them, no problems.

As I read it, 815.235 in Oregon requires a rear view mirror, does not specify the need for side view mirror

http://egov.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/docs/vcb/VCB815.pdf

Also note in there, I couldn't find anything about laws on doors.

Last edited:
During the summer I see alot of doorless rigs. Just wondered how many of them got tickeed for it.

on another note, how was driving doorless, JR? Was the Wind noise really bad?

Same, I couldn't find anything about doorless it just requires one mirror... IIRC... or 2... a rear view and/ or a drivers side, but you can rig that up easy. It was super chilly and kinda disorienting driving on the street with no door.

PDeeXJ said:
Same, I couldn't find anything about doorless it just requires one mirror... IIRC... or 2... a rear view and/ or a drivers side, but you can rig that up easy. It was super chilly and kinda disorienting driving on the street with no door.

I thought you died. Why won't you come round no more...is it because of Rod...sticker envy?

i dont think its disorienting. i would drive doorless all the time if water wasnt an issue.....

as a matter of fact maybe i'll pull em off tonight and cruise to work tomorrow in my carhartts in the 20* weather

wingnutooa said:
i dont think its disorienting. i would drive doorless all the time if water wasnt an issue.....

as a matter of fact maybe i'll pull em off tonight and cruise to work tomorrow in my carhartts in the 20* weather

I just modded the hinges on my drivers side door to lift off.... Its real easy.

Back