• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hypothermia Run 2010 (Evans Creek)

I'm In.
The Jeep is loaded and ready to go.

See you guys at 10:00AM at the lower main parking lot.
Don't forget to turn back your clocks!!

Michael

I'll be heading out in the AM.

Two things I want to clarify first...

A NW Forest Pass is required, and you can buy a day use pass at the Chevron in Wilkenson?

The staging area is off Hwy 165 ~10 miles past Carbonado (I'm assuming there will be signs)?

Thanks for a great day guys.

Lots of little bumps and bruises, and missing tailights but all in all a great day!
I will be pulling my front cover in the next few days and let you know what I find :eyes:

Michael

Got home a few minutes ago safe, sound, and no fix it tickets. :thumbup:

I had a blast today, and will definitely be heading back up soon. It was definitely timber crawling at it's finest.

I'll probably get a report up tomorrow.

Dustin

Nothing that I am aware of :D

Michael

Now that the Jeep is unloaded, washed, and in the garage I can give a more complete carnage report:
1. PS mirror still in 1 piece but no longer works for a mirror.
2. PS "A" pillar has a new small scratch/dent (from the mirror hitting it).
3. DS front door has a new small scuff/dent (from a tree).
4. DS rear door has a new small scuff/dent (from the same tree).
5. Front D30, PS outer shaft sheared at the splines.
6. PS rear tire on trailer has a slow leak.

Great Day!!
Michael

Now that the Jeep is unloaded, washed, and in the garage I can give a more complete carnage report:
1. PS mirror still in 1 piece but no longer works for a mirror.
2. PS "A" pillar has a new small scratch/dent (from the mirror hitting it).
6. PS rear tire on trailer has a slow leak.

Great Day!!
Michael

OUCH!

What a fun day.

The drive up for me seemed to go by farily quick. No traffic, and very few cars on the road. I made it to the Burnett Chevron in a little over 2 hours. Picked up my NW Forest Pass, and topped off my tank. From there I really had no clue where to go, so I walked up to some Jeeps parked at the Chevron to ask for directions. They had one more rig coming shortly and said I could follow them up to Evans.

IMG_0003.jpg

I got face full of Rainier while heading through Bonney Lake, but I started to get excited as we got closer.
IMG_0001.jpg

I got to the staging area around 9:30ish and was first from our group. Shortly after I got there Mike, Mark, Tim, and eventually Michael arrived. Tim (Cherokeefever) offered to lead the group for the day. I really didn't pay too much attention to trail numbers but I think our first trail was known as the "Switchback " trail.

Here's Mark getting through a slick dug out spot.
IMG_0007.jpg

Michael's turn.
IMG_0010.jpg

After the Switchback trail I believe we hit the 197(?) which featured a rock face at the beginning. Tim was first to attack it.
IMG_0012.jpg

I also happened to get it on video. ;)

It was pretty slick, and took a good bump to get up.
IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

We hit snow further on up the trail, and one hill offered literally zero traction after a few rigs passed. I stopped to let give Mark some room to get going, but couldn't get going after that. Even with all four tires going forward I was going backwards. Things got worse when I was about a foot from Michael's bumper and he was pinned as well. I ended up winching up the entire hill, never really getting a bite. Thanks to Michael, Mark, and Tim for the rigging help.

Lots of tight turns, off camber areas, and hill climbs.
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Last edited:
We then headed back to the staging area for a quick bite to eat. Tim took off for the day, and the rest of us headed up 311. The first obstacle proved to be a real challenge. Mark was first to attempt it, he succeeded in ripping off a tail light, but didn't make it. It took me about 4 tries and a taillight before I made it up. It took a really good bump and a high line to the right.

Michael was after me, and that's where this comes into play. :D
2xtreme said:

The u-joint was intact, but it was pretty clear something let loose. Michael put the rig on the trailer rather then tear it apart and grabbed a seat with me.

I always heard about "Brakeline Hill" so I was glad to finally see it for myself. There were three main lines you could take, all looked doable. The far left rock face looked somewhat sketchy, but I decided to give it a try first. Somehow I managed to crawl right up. Mike and Mark then followed suit.

I was also glad to get a picture at the infamous viewing area.
IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Mike cresting the top of 311.
IMG_0027.jpg

Mark sporting a sweet new hatch locking mechanism. :D
IMG_0029.jpg

It was 4:00 at that point and we decided to call it a day. After airing up I hit the road at 4:57, and turned the Jeep off at 8:27. Definitely was a long day, but well worth it. I'm already looking forward to the next time I can head back up.

2xtreme said:

X2

Plus a taillight, small dent on DS upper quarter, and a dent on the PS rear quarter. I now know why everyone raves about tree sliders and quarter panel guards. :D

Looks like it was good. Thanks for the pics

nice wish i could have gone. you need to use youtube so i can add vids to my fav lol

Thanks for the pics. It looks like you guys had fun.

Wow, certainly cant top that naration. Nice job and very accurate. I too had a blast and after loseing my rack to multiple trees, just left it at the trailer for the second half. I have a couple good kisses from the local foliage but otherwise wound up ok. Pics and a couple good vids to follow. thanks to all that were there. it was a kick ass time.:D

Good stuff, looks like a good time! I wish I had been paying more attention to this thread I would have loved to make this trip...oh well.

Back