• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro locked a 4.0.

Changed the oil. Pulled the valve cover and all look good. Added Lucas oil additive. Rough engine noise is gone. I'm still thinking I lucked out.
ing the valve cover will not tell you anything, also it will run better before it blows

Dam I forgot the leak down test. Where can you get a compression tester? Wheeling this weekend. Hopefully it won't blow then!

I usually borrow them from Checker... not sure how much they charge for the rental as I usually can borrow shit for free there, but the way it works is you'll give them a certain amount of money and then you get that money back as soon as you return the tool.
But yeah... Checker.

Run the tests.
If the engine tests out good, then wheel it without mercy.
If the engine tests out bad, find a replacement engine on craigslist for cheap, wheel this weekend and kill it, then swap the new one in.

If the engine tests out bad, find a replacement engine on craigslist for cheap, wheel this weekend and kill it, then swap the new one in.

Ya never cease to amaze me Mason.

Yeah, let's encourage the guy to take a questionable engine out on the trails INTENTIONALLY to "kill it" where it'd throw a rod, dump oil and coolant all over the trail, and then have to be dragged back home - or worse, waste money on a tow bill that should have gone toward engine replacement..... :twak:

Not to mention a compression test and leakdown test will not give an indication of a bent rod. Compression might show 5 psi down, well within normal range. As for the leakdown it will show the exact same number as the other cylinders assuming all else is normal except for the bent rod.

I've done a compression test on a hydro'd motor and had great numbers then noticed the rods were bent after the fact when the guy tore it down just for fun.

Thanks for all the info on this. I choose to go wheeling this weekend instead of worring if my engine was going to blow up on me or not. I hit up Mt. Baldy, Saran Wrap, and Eagle Rock. Not sure if we hit Saran Wrap or not but we hit Eagle Rock which was awesome. Going to the Black Hills this weekend to camp with the family and hit a few easy trails. Lets hope the jeep doesn't choose to blow up then. I'm hoping to do a compression test before I leave. Any ideas on directions to trails in the black hills?

I finally had the rear main seal replaced and had the lower end checked out. All is good. No problems to speak of. I think I sucked in so much water that all the pistons took the brunt of the stress.

Have you pulled the pan? Most failures are caused by bent push rods. You could most likely see them if you pulled the pan. It never hurts to take a look as what is in the bottom of the pan as well as pulling some rod and crank journal caps to check on the condition of the bearings. The gaskets are pretty cheap and the piece of mind is well worth the effort.

If I'm available you could bring it over to my garage and we could do the inspection in a couple of hours. At the same time, it might not be a bad idea to replace the rear main seal.

If the engine ends up being FUBAR'd, I'm planning on building a 4.7L stroker like the one I have. It has 100k+ miles on it. Again, based on my situation, I could probably have it done in less than 2 weeks.

LOL@ Tom............. Did you read the last post before yours? :roflmao:

I'm getting old and senile and didn't see the last post.

Back