• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro locked a 4.0.

Bna0atb

NAXJA Forum User
Hit a mud bog at 25 mph and sucked up a bunch of water almost made it across bog before the engine locked up. Towed down the mountain, pulled the plugs, pumped the water out then put the plugs back in and it started right up. Drove it home. Anything I should do to clean it up more?

Hit a mud bog at 25 mph and sucked up a bunch of water almost made it across bog before the engine locked up. Towed down the mountain, pulled the plugs, pumped the water out then put the plugs back in and it started right up. Drove it home. Anything I should do to clean it up more?
motor oil and filter, clean alternator, check trans, t-case and diff fluids. check air filter

And plan on buying a new motor in the near future... if you bent a rod or did any internal damage (likely) it's a ticking time bomb.

And plan on buying a new motor in the near future... if you bent a rod or did any internal damage (likely) it's a ticking time bomb.
X2 start shopping for a motor NOW

Mud. What is it with you kids and friggin' mud............ :dunno:

Mason is our resident mud bog pro around here, I imagine he'll chime in......... :D

give it 2-4 weeks before it blows up, thats how long they last

It runs like nothing happened. Should I have it rebuilt or just run it. If rebuild, I want to stroke it. Any recommendations on a kit and a shop that is good.

It runs like nothing happened. Should I have it rebuilt or just run it. If rebuild, I want to stroke it. Any recommendations on a kit and a shop that is good.
run it till it blows up, in the mean time find another 4.0 to replace it with, it will blow up dosnt matter how well it runs now

Mud. What is it with you kids and friggin' mud............ :dunno:

Mason is our resident mud bog pro around here, I imagine he'll chime in......... :D

Well Troy I'm honored :D

I'd run a compression test and a leakdown test, in no particular order. That'll tell ya if you've got bent rods or any leaks from the cyls. Pop the valve cover and check it out, see if anything doesn't seem right under there. Replace all your filters and fluids... oil, coolant, trans, diffs. Check the engine oil for any metal shavings or shit that shouldn't be there. Check your starting/charging system, sensors, and other vital electricals just incase the water shorted something out. Replace your TPS for good measure. Then run it into the ground. And it may be worth your while to check under the carpet and whatnot to make sure there's no water sitting around... you don't want that mildewey/moldy smell, or rust developing. Trust me on that.
Oh and don't forget to replace the blinker fluid too.

And if you've got a manual, you'll be needing a new clutch soon. When I feel my clutches starting to go, I go for a nice mud run and let em die the fun way. Mud has a nice tendency to break stuff, with clutch plates being at the top of the list.

Seems like a stupid way to blow you're
money, and you're engine... Hillbilly shit.

The guy shovin his infant son into the back of a top-heavy Jeep that isn't big enough to hold a family in the first place instead of something safer for your kid and better on gas now that you've got a family to look out for, simply cause YOU wanted a Jeep, is saying the guy that uses his Jeep as a toy is stupid? Nice.

Anybody that plays in mud knows it'll break shit... he even towed it off the mtn after he hit the bog before doing anything further. He's asking if there's anything further he should do to ensure his engine's safe (which it should be from the sounds of it... he got lucky). Maybe instead of saying what he does is stupid and calling it hillbilly shit, you could contribute something useful. Just sayin.

(I'm in a pissy mood... sorry)

Thanks for having my back. I admit hit the bog so fast was dumb and I'm sure I'll pay for it. That's what you get for night wheeling. Has anyone had any Luke with the ATK 4.7L inline 6, and how much? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The muffler, cat, and O2 sensors can also be damaged if they get water in them.

Back