• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydraulic hand brake?

I<3Mud

NAXJA Forum User
I have one laying around collecting dust from my old rally car and i was wondering.... is there any reason to justify installing it on my rig? has anyone seen any uses of hydraulic hand brakes for offloading? maybe decent control? I can use it to lock the front end or rear end...

All I can come up with is that if you are driving an auto, it will take a lot of strain off the "park" pawl when you park it on something steep.

That, and awesome handbrake turns.

EricsXJ has a hyd brake. And so does the member in TX that has an MJ with an Lsx swap. I forget that member's handle.

I think most folks in the offroad world refer to them as 'cutting brakes'.

I have a set of 4 in my car, and wouldn't trade them for the world. They're really not useful unless you have a D300 or aftermarket T-case with front dig / rear dig capability.

Mine are the "2 in, 2 out" style, and I can lock up any one tire at any time, or either axle at any time. I can lock up the rear axle with the hand brake just giving brake pressure to the rear tires, put my t-case in front wheel drive, turn the wheel, and rotate the rig without moving forward. Alternatively, I can put the jeep in rear wheel drive only, dis-engage the front driveshaft, lock up one front tire and get the rear end of the jeep to move over (sometimes).

More info here:
NonSkidSteerPlumbing.jpg

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/849472-cutting-brake-plumbing.html

Very useful tool to position the rig to be on just the right line at just the right time.

:thumbup:

EDIT:
You can also get them as a "1 in, 2 out" and plumb them inline with the rear axle brake hydraulic hose, then run 1 line from either handle to the corresponding rear wheel caliper. This works well for the high speed guys to lockup the inside tire on high speed corners or to lock both and get the rear end to come around and to make the rear end do what they want.

You can also grab the spinning wheel of an open diff to drive the wheel with traction.

we used cutting brakes in the competition buggy a few years back, but thats alot of work plumbing them into a regularly driven rig because unless it's a totally self-contained system, it's illegal in street driven vehicles.
i put a Hurst roll-control line-lock in my last XJ, it's passive and will hold brakes after you let off the brake pedal, i used it mainly to hold the rig on hills, it was a 5-spd.

Well i live in northern Fl... they don't care what you drive around here as long as the lights work and you don't speed... My tires stick way out, I have no CAT (did the cat delete the right way, no CEL) and my headlights have bright green LED halos... Hell you can even drive with your roof lights on without them caring...

I just have the one handbrake... its a homemade unit made from carbon fiber and a reworked wilwood cylinder. I was just thinking if it could be helpful in any way id integrate it into the custom dash I'm making.

Back