• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hubs are unlocked, but tires still chirp

If they are Ford hubs, go sparingly with the grease on reassembly. Ford hubs engage using a spring to push the drive cogs together. To much grease or too heavy of grease will not allow this to happen especially when it is cold out. I believe factory Ford hubs are the best ones to have because, there is no aluminum in the drive cogs and on the trail, if you happen to knock a hub off, they default into the locked position. I'm pretty sure all the aftermarket hubs need the hub there to stay locked.

Curt

BTW
the drive shaft shouldn't spin if you have the transfer in 4wd and the tranny in park,

if the hubs are in the unlock position this is when you should be able to rotate the tires and see if they are unlocked.

when you lock the hubs you should not be able to rotate them because the drive shaft is locked in at the transfer case which wont turn because the tranny is in park.

if you can not turn the tires with transfer in 4wd and tranny in park and hubs unlocked than the hubs are actually still locked.

I tried, kinda. Like 5 hours ago.
I only used one jack so I did both sides individually, and I had it in 2wd with the trans in park. I spun the tire and it had a little play but it wouldn't actually rotate, and the hubs were still in the unlocked position. And for shitzngiggles, I tried switching the hubs, and they wouldn't budge.
Would jacking up the whole front end and putting it in 4wd make a difference?
Guys I think you all are missing one fact that Mason keeps mentioning, the hubs are frozen in the unlocked position and he cannot turn them to the locked position. Sounds like the hubs are shot.

Guys I think you all are missing one fact that Mason keeps mentioning, the hubs are frozen in the unlocked position and he cannot turn them to the locked position. Sounds like the hubs are shot.

I took it to mean that he was able to select lock and unlock on the hubs but the tires still wouldn't budge (spin freely). I don't see specifically where he says the hubs won't turn between lock and unlock.

:dunno:

I tried rotating the tires both directions, and I tried the hubs while the tires were up too, the hubs wouldn't budge. It seems they're stuck in the open position but are stuck locked too.
Opening them up and cleaning them out would probably be a good idea, seemed to help some guys on other forums with stuck hubs.
They don't take a special kind of grease, do they?

This is the first post where he mentions the hubs being stuck in the open position.

I took it to mean that he was able to select lock and unlock on the hubs but the tires still wouldn't budge (spin freely). I don't see specifically where he says the hubs won't turn between lock and unlock.

:dunno:

x2 this is what I am thinking too.

Mason are you able to turn the selector between lock and unlock?

Ken has it.
The hubs are locked and won't unlock, yet are stuck in the open position and won't switch into the locked position.
I was gonna open em up and clean/regrease them, but I don't have an allen head big enough to open it. So it'll have to wait till I find one.

Ken has it.
The hubs are locked and won't unlock, yet are stuck in the open position and won't switch into the locked position.

I'm finding this confusing to read. The hub should have an arrow, or pointer of some sort on it on the inner portion that actually rotates. Then some indication as to which way to turn to lock or unlock as it spins in relation to the outer portion of the hub, and then stopping points on the outer portion that shows where the arrow should stop.

hubs4.jpg

Aside from how the tire is rotating, can you move the inner portion from a locked to unlocked/free position (all the way, sometimes almost a full rotation)? Make sure you have full movement of the locking mechanism before moving on.

Steve

I had one of my hubs do the same thing. Heard a snapping sound and then could not budge the hub. It was stuck in the locked position. It would no budge, when trying to turn it to the unlocked position. I had a spare hub, so i just swapped it out.

Although it is painful for some to view any pictures of this heep, I'd like to see pics of the hubs in question.

Back