• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hubs are unlocked, but tires still chirp

Not to get too off topic but your wheels are never at the same angle unless you have zero toe-in and then they're only at the same angle when your going perfectly straight. The rest of the time they are at different angles due to the ackermann angle.

See I know that and other people know that. But I was trying to explain it as painlessly as possible. He doesn't need to know the 'science' of it all just the gist, feel me?

Lol..... Call me crazy..... But are you trying to turn them the CORRECT direction?

Yes, I'm trying to turn them the right direction.

See I know that and other people know that. But I was trying to explain it as painlessly as possible. He doesn't need to know the 'science' of it all just the gist, feel me?

I know the concepts and whatnot of alignment, I don't know some of the terminology.

Sure sounds like the hubs are screwed up to me. Just like drum brakes, take them apart one side at a time so you have a reference if you can't figure out how they go back together.

You guys are brutal. I'm glad none of you are teachers at my kid's school. You aren't, are you?

I'm the human sensitivity and emotional awareness instructor. :D

Seriously dude, your rear axles are just plane jane too. You people need to realise that military equipment is made by the same people that make civilian vehicles. There are slight variations obviously, but "Military grade" is a fracking marketing ploy. The Military's equipment is made by either the lowest bidder or the one paying the right Generals and Politicians on the side.

You said that thing has a rear D60 right? Last truck I know of that the army used that actually had a D60 in the rear was back when they were only 16 spline axle shafts or some shite. All the Chevy trucks the Army used had 14bolt full float axles. Quit calling shite military, its fracking annoying.

If your hubs are broken all the more reason to replace them with non selecting hubs. A new set is going to cost you a good 100$ or more. Its a D44, so grab the inards from a stock Waggy D44 or GM 10bolt front axle. Less to break. The only thing that unlocking the front hubs does for you on the street is help improve gas mileage. Rolling on 36's you ain't going to be making a fuel sipper out of it.

And for frack sake, get a DD already

Just like drum brakes, take them apart one side at a time so you have a reference if you can't figure out how they go back together.

Ahahahahahaha!!!!!...... :gag:..... oops. Sorry.

:D

I'm the human sensitivity and emotional awareness instructor. :D

Seriously dude, your rear axles are just plane jane too. You people need to realise that military equipment is made by the same people that make civilian vehicles. There are slight variations obviously, but "Military grade" is a fracking marketing ploy. The Military's equipment is made by either the lowest bidder or the one paying the right Generals and Politicians on the side.

You said that thing has a rear D60 right? Last truck I know of that the army used that actually had a D60 in the rear was back when they were only 16 spline axle shafts or some shite. All the Chevy trucks the Army used had 14bolt full float axles. Quit calling shite military, its fracking annoying.

If your hubs are broken all the more reason to replace them with non selecting hubs. A new set is going to cost you a good 100$ or more. Its a D44, so grab the inards from a stock Waggy D44 or GM 10bolt front axle. Less to break. The only thing that unlocking the front hubs does for you on the street is help improve gas mileage. Rolling on 36's you ain't going to be making a fuel sipper out of it.

And for frack sake, get a DD already

Alright, not military whatsoever, got it.
Unlocked hubs would help my turning radius a bit and would wear the front tires less quickly. Regardless of the benefits, the bottom line is they're not working how they're supposed to. I'm gonna pop em open tomorrow and see if cleaning/regreasing will help any.

Ahahahahahaha!!!!!...... :gag:..... oops. Sorry.

:D

Hey, I knew how to get my brakes back together. Turned out that the hook on the end of one of the replacement springs that I was using - the same ones that went on fine on the other side - was about a half a millimeter too short. Hardly noticeable, but just enough so it wouldn't hold the bracket for the cable on right. I ended up using one of the old springs and it worked fine.

Before you tear into the hubs, do some simple investigating first...........

Put the front axle on jack stands so the tires are off the ground. Put it in 4wd, trans in "park", and then spin the tires by hand with the hubs in the unlocked position. The axle shafts should not move and the tires should spin. If the tires are locked up, then yeah, you've got hub issues.

And for shitzngiggles...... if the tires won't spin in the unlocked position, turn the hubs to the locked position and see if that changes anything........

:D I don't have any experience with hubs But My tires chirp when doing a u turn. I don't really care much. I am guessing your hubs are locked up tho... Have fun with that.

Before you tear into the hubs, do some simple investigating first...........

Put the front axle on jack stands so the tires are off the ground. Put it in 4wd, trans in "park", and then spin the tires by hand with the hubs in the unlocked position. The axle shafts should not move and the tires should spin. If the tires are locked up, then yeah, you've got hub issues.

And for shitzngiggles...... if the tires won't spin in the unlocked position, turn the hubs to the locked position and see if that changes anything........

I tried, kinda. Like 5 hours ago.
I only used one jack so I did both sides individually, and I had it in 2wd with the trans in park. I spun the tire and it had a little play but it wouldn't actually rotate, and the hubs were still in the unlocked position. And for shitzngiggles, I tried switching the hubs, and they wouldn't budge.
Would jacking up the whole front end and putting it in 4wd make a difference?

:D I don't have any experience with hubs But My tires chirp when doing a u turn. I don't really care much. I am guessing your hubs are locked up tho... Have fun with that.

Uh... wait, when did you get lockers?
BTW, any word from your boss?

Yeah, but other variables may contribute to the problem - just seems a true test of all components of the front axle to have both tires off the ground with the driveline engaged to truely tell if the hubs will free-wheel.

But yeah, one tire off the ground with the hub unlocked should have spun - it would have been hard to tell if it was truely disengaged if the shaft was turning with it - which is why I suggested the method I did.

But since you say the tire wouldn't spin the way you tried it, and the hub was in the unlocked position, then I believe you may have found the problem. Hopefully the hubs just need pulled apart and lubed - maybe the gear/collar is hanging up in the hub splines and staying engaged..... :dunno:

Yeah, but other variables may contribute to the problem - just seems a true test of all components of the front axle to have both tires off the ground with the driveline engaged to truely tell if the hubs will free-wheel.

But yeah, one tire off the ground with the hub unlocked should have spun - it would have been hard to tell if it was truely disengaged if the shaft was turning with it - which is why I suggested the method I did.

But since you say the tire wouldn't spin the way you tried it, and the hub was in the unlocked position, then I believe you may have found the problem. Hopefully the hubs just need pulled apart and lubed - maybe the gear/collar is hanging up in the hub splines and staying engaged..... :dunno:

I'll try again tomorrow, the way you suggested.
If the shaft still spins, I'll open em up and clean/lube em.
Is brake cleaner ok to use to clean the hubs or should I use something a little less harsh?

Don't use brake clean IN the hub assembly. You can use it to clean the hub parts IF/WHEN you remove them.

You don't want brake clean in there breaking down the grease for the bearings......

If the hubs are grungy/rusty and not functioning as they should, you need to pull the whole hub assembly apart, clean the parts, put bearing grease on all meshing surfaces and re-assemble.

Do some internet searching for the style hubs you have and I imagine you can find a thread/write-up somewhere on how they come apart and go back together.

Lol I wouldn't spray it in the hub while its on. I meant for taking it apart and cleaning the parts, if brake cleaner was ok or if there was anything in there that the brake cleaner would be bad for like rubber or plastic.

I'm pretty sure they're Ford... driver drop 8 lug LP 44 sound like a Ford to you?
Chevy used 8 lugs too, but they're pass side drop, and so are FSJ 44s.

mcantar, let me just say that you sir are going to figure out a lot with this thing.

And by the time you are done with it, you'll (hopefully) know more then I ever will about a true 4x4 Rig.

I'm pretty sure they're Ford... driver drop 8 lug LP 44 sound like a Ford to you?
Chevy used 8 lugs too, but they're pass side drop, and so are FSJ 44s.

Did you just say the "F" word?

I know very little about Ford stuff.......... on purpose. :D

Back