• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HS kid with an H.O

Stronger shafts won't help the R&P. However, by most accounts, the 4.88 doesn't tend to break anymore frequently than 4.56 on the trail. RCV shafts are awesome, you shouldn't ever break a shaft with a set of them.

Yeah, but you should be ok with the 27 spline and RCVs. Either that or sell your OX and get a new one in 30 spline...:D

x2 everyone bashes the 30 but the hp30 is actually a stout axle. a truss and alloys will work for 35s no problem. you can actaully beef the 30 up quite a bit with the budget youre working on.

If you truss it, throw alloys in it, and with that OX you should be pretty good to go. Thats a beefy 30 right there. Really the truss is going to help you a heck of alot more then anythings.

But then the down side is how deep i can gear with the d30. 4.88 is the deepest available for a d30, compared to a d44 where they are capable of 5.13s which would be premium with 35s. And with the deeper gear the easier chance of breaking. So would i be blowing out R&Ps often?

If you DD your rig, you wont want 5.13's. You will be upshifting like a mother. I knew a guy who DDed a wrangler with them and he hated it. It was to low for the road. Keep the 30, truss it, maybe even sleeve the tubes, and then that to me would be a super 30. And to me, I would rather keep stock shafts and 4.88's. Because then your weak point is at the u-joints and shafts. Its quick and easy to just change out a u-joint or a shaft, then blow something up in the carrier.

My buddy is running 4,88's, RCV's, and a air locker. And his biggest fear is blowing a ring an pinion. Because thats the weakest point now. He has put the weakest point inside the axle, to now open up to bigger problems. And he wheels with a light foot now.

Me I would much rather keep it at a u-joint or shaft which are $25-$30 and thats for stocks shafts. THen have to spend to have a whole new gear system installed

SmallFry, you will be just fine with a trussed HP30, 27sp OX, chromo's and 488's! You are asking the age old question that has an endless number of answers! Build your rig within your budget and enjoy the great outdoors! Half the fun of this awesome sport is fixing your junk after wheelin it over and over :D

Back