• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to weld frame reinforcement

I went with the same approch as XJRanger. Took me about 2 hours to weld it all.

Picture124.jpg

047.jpg

After it looks "pretty"
051.jpg

Has anyone seen any examples of gas welding on the uniframe?

I don't have any experience using it in such situations, but ignoring the inconvenience, it seems like it might have some advantages.

Jonathan said:

I don't have any experience using it in such situations, but ignoring the inconvenience, it seems like it might have some advantages.

what advantages would you say and I assume you are talking about oxy/gas welding not metal innert gas correct?

Starboard M said:
I went with the same approch as XJRanger. Took me about 2 hours to weld it all.

Picture124.jpg

047.jpg

After it looks "pretty"
051.jpg

that looks good. I am doing plates very soon and I would like to know without all the pollitics what is a good hole size to drill for the plates to plug?

3/8, maybe smaller.

3/8 would be great because the thought of drilling a hundred some odd- holes that are 1/2 or bigger makes me sick :puke:

Jonathan said:

Interesting article here about repair of unibody vehicles done by a "research institute" that says they advise the insurance industry. They recommend MIG with a 75/25 argon/co2

http://www.tech-cor.net/AutoResBulletin/1986-1/1986-1.htm

They specifically recommend against oxyacetylene or brazing.

Keep in mind any knowledge I have on this is strictly from secondhand research.

From what I've seen, people say that gas welding gives very good control of the heat application, especially on this materials. Combined with the large HAZ, there's less localized stress immediately surrounding the weld.

Honestly, I'm not too concerned about losing the temper on unibody steel within the heat-affected-zone: just a guess, but it probably pretty low-grade stuff to begin with.

Back