• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to replace dist. o-ring...?

soulslngr

NAXJA Forum User
I believe that the o-ring that I have seen mentioned on here in the dist. has gone, does anyone know how or of a write-up on how to replace this part? any help is greatly appreciated, and don't think I haven't searched a ton already...
thanks!

haynes or chiltons has step by step directions on how to pull the dist. and replace.

are you replacing the oring because its leaking oil? just asking because the oil filter adapter could be the culptit.

Remove distributor, replace oring, reinstall distributor. Easy.

However, as has been said, make sure that's what's leaking. IIRC, the disty oring is a "splash" seal that isn't responsible for holding in a lot of pressure. Clean the engine so you can check and make sure it's not the valve cover gasket (they're pretty common) or the oil filter elbow (a pain, but doable) before you pull the distributor. Since you didn't mention that you've checked, I want to make sure you do... Pulling the distributor isn't really difficult, but it's damned easy to screw up and leave you scratching your head on a "no start" condition...

5-90

That O-ring is only a paper gasket.My guess is that its the oil filter adapter thats leeking.
Wayne

sorry should have mentioned that I already did valve cover, oil filter elbow, rear main, and oil pan (soon to be redone with rubber gasket), and just noticed that there was oil in the dist. it also looked like there was an oil trail from under the edge of the dist, and I have also since cleaned the valve cover and ccv stuff, so thats done too. I thought there was an oring somewhere and a gasket that was between the base and the block, but i could be wrong. just want to stop burning oil on my exhaust pipe

highhilleer said:
Is it legal to put manuals on the internet????

It's illegal unless you get permission from the copyright holder. And I very seriously doubt that D/C will give permission.

At some point, Tom can expect a call from the lawyers.

Back