• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove stock steering shaft

97-01 plunges

96 and older does not.

loosen both set bolts on both ends and completely remove them. They are like key's in keyways, and the shaft will not come off with them installed.

pull your steering box (3 bolts) letting it rest on your tie rod, while being
careful not to over-extend your p.s. hoses. (not a big problem as they are
hard for about 3-4" and kind of support themselves)

Then tap, yank, pull the shaft gently off the box end first, and then the firewall end.

reverse the order, to reinstall, making sure your steering wheel is lined up.

PM or post up any more questions.

97-01 plunges

96 and older does not.

Incorrect, 95 and 96 are collapsible. They are a different shaft than the earlier XJ shafts, and the '97-'01 shafts, but they do collapse, I have one in my garage.

I was able to remove the steering shaft and reinstall a new one without removing the box on my '91. Where the shaft attaches to on the firewall actually slides, and you can push that joint towards the drivers compartment to gain the necessary room to install the shaft.

yup, you're right, I'm a bit off on my years, my bad...

84-94 are non-collapsable, 95-96 are collapsable, what about 97 and up?

I was told they did, in fact, collapse? not true?

I tried the "without removing the box" method first, without success. So I pulled the box...waaaay easier for me.

Honestly, it took me 5mins to pull the box, and about 10-15 to put it back on. all-told the repair was about an hour or so, doing it that way.

Thanks for clarifying my info!

-Brian

Remove the pinch bolt on the steering shaft, slip a hardened washer into the split and reinstall the bolt. Tighten it to open up the gap and you should be able to pull it off the box very easily. Has always worked for me, although if you use a soft grade washer you will have a hard time getting it out after.

yup, you're right, I'm a bit off on my years, my bad...

84-94 are non-collapsable, 95-96 are collapsable, what about 97 and up?

I was told they did, in fact, collapse? not true?
'97+ do collapse, but the '95-'96 are a different shaft. Looking in a parts catalog a month ago at my friend's part store told me that '95-'96 are different than the '97+, and I believe it because I have both a '95 and a '99 shaft in my garage.

'97+ do collapse, but the '95-'96 are a different shaft. Looking in a parts catalog a month ago at my friend's part store told me that '95-'96 are different than the '97+, and I believe it because I have both a '95 and a '99 shaft in my garage.

94 was the first year with the new steering wheel so I ass-u-me that it is the first year with the collapsible shaft.

they didn't change parts from 84-91 then they changed every couple of years after that, but most of them are minor changes.

I have removed mine by taking off the steering box and by pulling the column forward, probably easier to do the box just don't let it fall on you

94 was the first year with the new steering wheel so I ass-u-me that it is the first year with the collapsible shaft.

they didn't change parts from 84-91 then they changed every couple of years after that, but most of them are minor changes.

I have removed mine by taking off the steering box and by pulling the column forward, probably easier to do the box just don't let it fall on you

haha! quoted for great advice!!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this was the only one I found in a quick search.

Working on a 97+.. swapping the steering box and drag/tierod. Is there actually a setscrew holding the shaft to the steering box, or do you simply compress the shaft and slip it off the splines?

I'v never done this newer style..

Back