• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to make a lift from other parts?

jeffasher1988

NAXJA Forum User
I am in need of a cheap lift like 2-3 inches or a little more. I was thinking if went to a junkyard and picked parts off other cars mabey i could make a small lift. Is this possible and if so would would i grab and from what?

Go pick off the front coil spring isolators from about 5 or 6 cherokees. Stack these on each side in addition to your current coil spring isolators. This should lift the front whatever you want. Then grab a set of rear s10 springs, and toss the second leaf from the s10 between the cherokee main and second. Should get you lifted 2-3 inches there.

Total cost should be real low.

Coils from a V8 grand cherokee, gives about 1.5-2" lift
Some long leafs from a cherokee, used as add a leaf
your gonna need new shocks and transfer case drop too

heres my lift so far
2" spacers-$50
xj main leaf with eyes cut off and used as aal-FREE
1.5" RRO Shackles-$35
so far ive got $85 in my lift and im sittin at 2" up frt and 3" out back, the spacers are teraflex and i got them from the local 4x4 shop, the shackles i got used from a fellow NAXJA member and the aal i got from a set of rear leaf packs i also got from another naxja member, hopefully within the next month ill be liftin my brothers xj for free, some stacked factory coil isolater up frt (2 extra per side wich will net 1.25" of lift) and some aal i got layin around for 2" of lift.

Ok so i can look for front coil springs from an v8 grand cherokee, F-250, F-150. Where else can i get them? Also what will i also need like transfer case drop, tie rod? Anything i will need?

I'm no metalurgist or anything, but I've always heard that when you heat spring steel it loses some of its stiffness, and decreases the spring rate(?)
Not sure maybe someone here does understand spring steel and how it responds to heat treating.

why not just wheel stock?
(the next statement means no sarcasm just to let you know)
or do you just want it for the higher stance/ taller look. but dont want to put in 80-100 bucks for an actual budget boost?

You shouldn’t need a SYE (Slip yolk eliminator for transfer case) for 2".
Usually around 3" and up you need one. It varies from jeep to jeep.
You should get new shocks, and make sure your brake lines are not overextending at full droop.
Also, cutting off the ends of an xj main leaf with heat should not affect the spring rate. But, if you’re really worried about it use a cut-off wheel.

i dont think that the heat post was meant towards cutting the leaves. i believe it was directed more towards the f series springs. thinking that heat treating them might reduce their spring rate some.

i guess it is possible to do this (if you knew the temperature at which to heat it) if you did it and slowed it VERY slowly. heat treating often makes things brittle, and thats not a good quality for a spring. also, i doubt it would be all that noticible anyway..

Here's an easy way out...

Get a SkyJacker full length AAL from a supplier (the skyjackers will take a while to break in and can be a little stiff). Go to a junkyard for mid-90's ZJ 5.9 front coils and isolators. New U-bolts will be necessary for the rear and cheap spring clamps are recommended if they don't come with the AAL.

SkyJacker FL AAL + mid 90's ZJ 5.9 coils + front isolators = 2.6"F/2.8"R lift (you'll need to get longer shocks before you wheel it).

You'll get this stuff for about $130. You can probably find some decent used 3" lift shocks for $100 if you look around hard enough. If you do, you'll be ready to go for less than $250 (but don't count on lots of flex). This is what I did to mine, and I like it. Handles fantastic on the street, and enablles me to run washboard dirt roads out in the deserts at slightly higher speeds, relatively comfortably (I'm runnin' 235's on stock rims).

Last edited:
Back