• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to get 4.5" lift with loads of articulation?

OP said his rig is mostly used for hunting roads and oil lease roads. I read nothing that indicates rocks or major clearance issues. Take a look again at my 3rd picture. I have drop brackets and do a lot of rock garden runs. Never have I been hung on a bracket. Also, in that third picture, I doubt you'd say the drop brackets have hurt my articulation.

Front orbital eyes + our rear comp shackles would be about as good as it gets without linking the rear. From what I have seen, leaf sliders do little for flex unless your towing a huge anchor of an axle.

Here's our rig with IRO 3.5" leafs, comp shackles and HD offroad's drop brackets. I'm running a 12"/10" F/R shock with it sitting around 5.5".

OP. It looks like the shocks are stopping from flexing the rear. Not sure by your pic. Also maybe the front shocks are doing the same if you can't get it to flex too

Just thinking out of the box.

What part would be exaggerated? Guy has short arms. Doesn't hang them going through a trail. Gets drop brackets. Ride quality improves but he gets hung up on the same trail so much that he changed over to long arms the next month. Drop brackets work, but at the cost of clearance. If the OP is fine with the cost of long arms then that should be encouraged
ive never been to moab... so maybe you guys have the pointy-est rocks in the world out there that just barely stick up in them and hold on for dear life. but setting them on a rock shouldnt completely stop forward progress. hes got long arms. cool, congrats. id love to have something better, but long arms have inherent issues im not fond of either and nothing on the market is what im looking for. ill build mid arms when the time comes. but they arent a complete joke like revolver shackles or something.

But if you're thinking bilsteins and Clayton products, rough country does not belong in your build
x2

Just checked out those shackles on your site very impressive and decent price. Only question is why the dog leg on one side of the shackle and mostly flat other side ? Is it to keep it out of the gas tank ? Or are the pics just deceiving.

Front orbital eyes + our rear comp shackles would be about as good as it gets without linking the rear. From what I have seen, leaf sliders do little for flex unless your towing a huge anchor of an axle.

Here's our rig with IRO 3.5" leafs, comp shackles and HD offroad's drop brackets. I'm running a 12"/10" F/R shock with it sitting around 5.5".

Front orbital eyes + our rear comp shackles would be about as good as it gets without linking the rear.

if you put a flex joint in the frame side of the shackle and one in the front eye of the spring, the rig will just flop side-side. one of the two needs to stay a bushing.

I'm not so sure about that. The front one can twist but not enough to flop side to side. Although it may feel a little less stable compared to rubber or Polly on the road doubt you could get it to squirm to much.

But maybe someone who has ran the baja bushings on both ends can chime in with some experience.

OP it sounds like you've got a ton of basic questions. You've got a general idea but we can't tell you what to buy really. Just gotta keep researching and eventually you'll be able to decide for yourself which products are worth it for you and which ones aren't. Most of it is trial and error. But if you're thinking bilsteins and Clayton products, rough country does not belong in your build

I have been reading a lot, and it's just giving too many options really, and trial and error testing would just rack up the cost far too fast. lol

I know RC isn't to the same quality as Claytons and bilsteins, but for long arms they seem to all be the same really, and seems the extra costs aren't justified to the use that I will be putting it through. springs and shocks will really show up in the ride though.

OP said his rig is mostly used for hunting roads and oil lease roads. I read nothing that indicates rocks or major clearance issues. Take a look again at my 3rd picture. I have drop brackets and do a lot of rock garden runs. Never have I been hung on a bracket. Also, in that third picture, I doubt you'd say the drop brackets have hurt my articulation.

No rocks really, but I don't want to get hung up if I can avoid it. Part of why I am relocating the rear shock mounts too.

I would still need relocation brackets for those shackles right? I do like the idea of the orbital eyes to help in the rear.
So your shackles are about a 2" drop then?

OP. It looks like the shocks are stopping from flexing the rear. Not sure by your pic. Also maybe the front shocks are doing the same if you can't get it to flex too

Just thinking out of the box.

The shocks in the rear, while cheapo have 6" down and 4" up sitting with the weight on them.
The front I can stuff the tire into the fender, and drop it to having it be shock limited, the rear used to do that too.

I'm not so sure about that. The front one can twist but not enough to flop side to side. Although it may feel a little less stable compared to rubber or Polly on the road doubt you could get it to squirm to much.

But maybe someone who has ran the baja bushings on both ends can chime in with some experience.

This is a good question, and I would like to know too.

ive never been to moab... so maybe you guys have the pointy-est rocks in the world out there that just barely stick up in them and hold on for dear life. but setting them on a rock shouldnt completely stop forward progress. hes got long arms. cool, congrats. id love to have something better, but long arms have inherent issues im not fond of either and nothing on the market is what im looking for. ill build mid arms when the time comes. but they arent a complete joke like revolver shackles or something.

they're not a complete joke. like I said, they do as advertised. I'm not near moab. the trail I'm referring to is the rubicon. nothing crazy just semi heavy rock garden stuff. it's not always hanging up going forward that's the problem. it's reversing back. VERY disturbing watching the brackets catch a rock and tug on the frame. there's definitely movement. and he has frame plates

also, radius arms are great. I loved mine. they do not bind like crazy or unload all over the place. the only time I had an issue is on the really steep climbs but you'll still make it up. my 3 link performs better yes, but the "inherent" issues with long arms are nothing to worry about IMO.

trial and error testing would just rack up the cost far too fast. lol

this is where we all end up really. you listen to people on the internet, you buy some stuff off craigslist, you change it up a year later. etc. etc. it's the learning curve we all have to go through. each one of us would build your rig differently

Back