• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many leaf spring clamps?

They are cheap at spring shops, about $1.50 each IIRC. There was a discussion a couple of months back where someone posted an on-line source, I think. If you need it, I can probably look up the part number and phone number of the spring shop I use, but I think that info is also in that thread. The industry term, BTW, is "rebound clips."

As you know, stock springs use 3 per side. That's better for keeping the leaves aligned, but not as good for flex. The farther from the axle you place them, the more they restrict the amount of droop you can get out of the springs. I'd recommend starting out with two on each side, one ahead of the axle and one aft. If you find the leaves are still fanning out, add another clamp.

I run 0 per side. :)

It is a trail ony rig and I just hit them whith the hammer as needed.

SouthernXJ said:
Lol, dont really care if mine arent fanned out. This is a 99.094632% street rig.

You should care. And you don't want them fanned out. I'm referring to the horizontal plane (looking down from above). If they fan out, one of the shorter leaves is going to eat your tire. Not good.

Eagle said:
You should care. And you don't want them fanned out. I'm referring to the horizontal plane (looking down from above). If they fan out, one of the shorter leaves is going to eat your tire. Not good.

yeah. At least one of use has been there by accident. When you can get the clamps/ clips for $1.50 ea divide that by the cost of a new tire. OUCH!

red91inWA a.k.a. scott f. said:
yeah. At least one of use has been there by accident. When you can get the clamps/ clips for $1.50 ea divide that by the cost of a new tire. OUCH!

I was almost there yesterday. I just got some new tires that are wider then my old set, noticed the driver side leafs were fanning out when I was checking clearance. I couldn't fit my finger between the tire and the leaf! I got them straightened out with a hammer last night, but I could add a rebound clip closer to the axle to prevent the shorter leafs from fanning? As it sits today, there is are two clips per spring pack.

No, I meant vertical fanning. Of course horizontal fanning would be bad news. I figured he was talking about gaining droop be running no clamps. I dont care about droop, so fanning in that maner isnt important to me, hence the use of more clamps.

OK, what the heck is this. I'm pricing out just doing a 2.5" AAL to fix up my rear sag, and the RE website has the clips priced at $11.95 a pair. MmmmIdon'tthinkso.

If someone knows where I can get these for the supposed buck fifty each, please let me know.

Thanks

Tuckman1941 said:
OK, what the heck is this. I'm pricing out just doing a 2.5" AAL to fix up my rear sag, and the RE website has the clips priced at $11.95 a pair. MmmmIdon'tthinkso.

If someone knows where I can get these for the supposed buck fifty each, please let me know.

Thanks
i did Rusty's 3" lift with long AALs in the rear, only one clamp, and I have no problem. Just make sure the indent matches the indent on the smallest leaf, on the forward side of the axle.

Tuckman1941 said:

Thanks
Superior Spring Company, 2300 State Street, Hamden, CT.

203-248-6385

What you need is 2-1/2" wide rebound clips. They sell two kinds. You want the stamped sheet metal, 2-piece style.

Awesome, thanks Eagle. A fellow nutmegger to the rescue!

SouthernXJ said:
No, I meant vertical fanning. Of course horizontal fanning would be bad news. I figured he was talking about gaining droop be running no clamps. I dont care about droop, so fanning in that maner isnt important to me, hence the use of more clamps.
The term "fanning" does not refer to the leaves opening up in the vertical axis. Hence the confusion.

Back