• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard do you XJers drive???

tire speed ratings are very conservative, 10-15mph over isn't going to blow them out unless you are maintaining that speed for a very long time...or if the tires are very weather checked or down to the belts etc.

I do have to admit it is a rush tho, doing that kind of speed in a solid axle SUV with the arodynamics of a brick :D

j99xj said:
I've topped my Jeep out a few times before on the interstate. My speedo needle was about an inch passed 100. So I guess thats about 110-115.
Do you have stock tires? Keep in mind that larger tires will effect the speedo's accuracy. This is with my speedometer regeared to fir the 4.88s and 34" tires. According to GPS, it was a little north of 95:

1188371709.jpg

She was still pulling too, though pretty slowly. Not bad for a rig that looks like this:

Moab2007-327.jpg

100_4256.jpg

-----Matt-----

n8munn24 said:
Stock I chirped it through 4th...
I've gotta call bullshit on this. Are you running a blown, stroked 6, or a SBC swap? Otherwise, there's no way in hell.
n8munn24 said:
...but now with 9" of lift w/32 and a stock drive train a baby the sh*t out of her (not really but I try)
Uh, yeah. That may be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, could you post a pic?

-----Matt-----

P.S. You've been nominated.

FoMoCo said:
same here, did it on I-8 east a little ways past Yuma, it was surprisingly smooth and tight at that speed :D

On little two lane highways outside of town we always race to the wheelin spots, but I definitely can't say mine drives smooth and tight at high speeds. More reminds me of driving a go cart and I feel like im going about 150 MPH instead of 70-80.

But back to the thread topic, I drive the living piss out of mine... '92 Laredo with just shy of 160,000 and still going strong

My friend and I bought a 1988 xj from an insurance auction for $350. 220000 km's. We took it to the local mud pits. It lasted 2hrs. But it was impressive. With a bone stock wrecked jeep it managed to make at least 12 jumps, one we had at least 4.5 - 5 feet of air. It still drove home but after when we looked at the jeep the floor basically fell out the rear leafs arced the wrong way the seats were broken and there were a few dents in the roof, from the inside oouuch! but the thing still ran and drove! so drive it hard, but buckle up....

XJSlater said:
On little two lane highways outside of town we always race to the wheelin spots, but I definitely can't say mine drives smooth and tight at high speeds. More reminds me of driving a go cart and I feel like im going about 150 MPH instead of 70-80.

But back to the thread topic, I drive the living piss out of mine... '92 Laredo with just shy of 160,000 and still going strong

mine isn't lifted yet, I don't think I'll have the cajones to push her to triple digets once I get the RE 3.5" and some real meats :D

IXNAYXJ said:
I've gotta call bullshit on this. Are you running a blown, stroked 6, or a SBC swap? Otherwise, there's no way in hell.
Uh, yeah. That may be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, could you post a pic?

-----Matt-----

possible with a 5 spd, 205's and 3.73's in the axles ;)

I just had to do it after the 8.8 swap. Always scared to do it with the 35.

before i put my lift and 31's on, i had my jeep above 100, speedometer only goes to 85, but my friend in his volvo said we were doing 105, wont do that again (scary on unbalenced tires).

FoMoCo said:
mine isn't lifted yet, I don't think I'll have the cajones to push her to triple digets once I get the RE 3.5" and some real meats :D

Exact same set up I have, and I'm running 33's. I've pushed her to about 100+ pulling the high speed weave through traffic on the way to the mountains last winter. It was all fun and games until she started steaming from under the hood. But a good 5 hour break in the cold mountain air while we were snowboarding and she was good as new when we came back.

91 Jeep Project said:
Like I was auditioning for Indy...................:cheers:
x2 people are always surprised when I get up and whip past them...

IslanderXJ said:
x2 people are always surprised when I get up and whip past them...

x3 I can't wait till it cools off this fall/winter, no AC + cool dense intake charge = ricer Pwnage :laugh:

I drive like Jekel and Hyde.

On road it is like Granny is driving...

Off Road.. Its low range but I do have been known to bump into the rev limiter... from time to time.

Shomsky462 said:
so i figured it out.. i was goin about 95 on the freeway one time. thought i was gonna die...
ya dude you haul ass on the freeway :D, i think we were averagin like 85 on the way to hollister last time

About a year or so ago I had some ricer give me a flyby on the highway. I saw him coming so I hammered down. I stuck him and we kept on going, my jeep suddenly stopped pulling so I looked down at the guages. The speedo was pegged and it was banging off the limiter in 3rd gear, so I bumped it to overdrive and rolled out another 1000 or so RPM. It was way beyond safe speed, I would guess 110 or so. It was still pulling decently but was starting to get some driveline vibes so I shut er down. I am sure the ricer was like WTF that bigass jeep is still on my ass. My Tires are way to cut up to be doing that shit but I hate ricer flybys.

IXNAYXJ said:

-----Matt-----

Yeah, I had seen that too... 9" on 32's?? I really wanna see this.

XJ98Jeep said:
There is ALOT of reciprocating mass in an inline 6, you can throw a rod. It's surpisingly easy if you hang out at the rev limiter. Plus, who wants to hear "Clunkgrindshriek!" and then watch a rod go through the hood? That'll really ruin your speed-gasm.

Nonsense. If your motor pops it was about to anyway. I once drained the oil out of a 4.0 and matted it, took 2.5 minutes at 6400 rpm before anything let go, seized the rod bearings and broke two rods. With oil, no problem. I've run just short of redline, foot to the floor for twenty minutes multiple times and the motor had no problems with it. (Climbing to the Eisenhower Tunnel in CO)

Here's the destruction clip:

<br><br><br>Click here to see Video

The high pitched noise is the alternator bearings, they failed almost immediately.

Last edited:
Back when I had my Comanche I pushed it into triple digits a couple of times with no problems. Trying to get a girl home before 12 am one time I had a buddy of mine tell me I was doing over 120, thats when his Honda couldn't keep up with me anymore. When he told me this it scared the crap out of me but it always drove like a racecar. The Cherokee I have now I don;t like to get it over 75, vibrates enough to make you think a tire is about to fall off.

JJacobs said:
Nonsense. If your motor pops it was about to anyway. I once drained the oil out of a 4.0 and matted it, took 2.5 minutes at 6400 rpm before anything let go, seized the rod bearings and broke two rods. With oil, no problem. I've run just short of redline, foot to the floor for twenty minutes multiple times and the motor had no problems with it. (Climbing to the Eisenhower Tunnel in CO)

Here's the destruction clip:

<br><br><br>Click here to see Video

The high pitched noise is the alternator bearings, they failed almost immediately.

Some underdrive pulleys would fix that.

Back