• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how does the rock krawler 3 link work?

I like it. The solid alloy control arms are nice. Im only trailering though. So no sway bar but i will be running a suck down winch on it.

000_0133.jpg

000_0125.jpg

000_0124.jpg

000_0123.jpg

000_0120.jpg

000_0119.jpg

NCCherokee said:
I just received my RK 3-link today. As everyone has said, it is beef. I agree that you should weld it in addition to bolting it on. Originally, I had planned to just weld it and skip the bolts, but after seeing the brackets in person, I realize now that they need to be bolted too. The fuel and brakelines run below the bracket on the drivers side, so now there are little spacers to hold the bracket away from the rail and from the lines so it doesnt smash them when torqued down.

The bracket is about 6" wide, which is significantly wider than the framerail. If you didn't bolt them at all, there would be about 1.5" of the bracket hanging off the framerail without any weld on it, and on the drivers side this includes the UCA mount since it is incorporated into the LCA bracket. Also, since the UCA mount is in the way, you wont be able to get a weld very far along the inside of the framerail...

I don't know much about loading and forces and all that incurred during wheeling or DDing, but I do know that I wouldn't trust my UCA to the bracket being only welded on. My camera is on the fritz, so if it decides to start working, I'll take some pictures so everyone can see what i'm talking about.

The last thing worth mentioning is that I believe, though I'm not certain, the frame bolts are grade 5. They have the 3 raised lines indicating grade 5, but there is also a raised triangle between two of the raised lines. I think this is simply a manufacturer's stamp. That said, I'll be upgrading these to Grade 8 when they go on.

How long did it take to get to you?

Mosephus said:
How long did it take to get to you?

I ordered it on Friday, Jan 18, and it got here yesterday, Jan 29, so less than 2 weeks. more like a week and a half, but I'm on the east coast. On a side note, they only shipped it with one zerk fitting, and I think one of the krawler joints is bad, but I haven't taken it apart yet. Anyone know how to do it? Its probably a good excuse to drill out the holes and thread them for the larger zerk fittings so i can actually grease them, and run a standard size plug so i dont break them off all the time.

NCCherokee said:
I ordered it on Friday, Jan 18, and it got here yesterday, Jan 29, so less than 2 weeks. more like a week and a half, but I'm on the east coast. On a side note, they only shipped it with one zerk fitting, and I think one of the krawler joints is bad, but I haven't taken it apart yet. Anyone know how to do it? Its probably a good excuse to drill out the holes and thread them for the larger zerk fittings so i can actually grease them, and run a standard size plug so i dont break them off all the time.

The sides of the joint un screw..... Yes a great time to do this. I doubt a joint is bad... but they do get assembled dry at RK.

mattyj said:
The sides of the joint un screw..... Yes a great time to do this. I doubt a joint is bad... but they do get assembled dry at RK.

saw your response in the other thread. thanks for the help. I was just concerned because one joint was incredibly stiffer than the other two.

NCCherokee said:
saw your response in the other thread. thanks for the help. I was just concerned because one joint was incredibly stiffer than the other two.

Bring it this weekend, I want to see how it looks..

ZacSquatch said:
Bring it this weekend, I want to see how it looks..

I was planning on it. I'm not gonna toss it in yet, but i figured I would drill for the crush sleeves and let your brother weld them in. The stiffeners would then go over those. due to the thickness, i'll have to drill the holes 3/16" lower, and trim 3/16" off the spacers so everything fits right. all the components are pretty beef. I'm havent really decided how I like the krawler joints yet, so I suppose I'll just run them for a while. if they suck, i'll probably switch to johnny joints. what time this weekend?

kenny

Pretty much whenever you want to show up.. I was thinkin like 10.. but I'm easy to get along with.

I'm building my own off the RK design, I have RE flex joints for the frame side and JJ's for the axle side

But before that gets finished... I need to do that mod you did for your XJ.... a DD

NCCherokee said:
I just received my RK 3-link today. As everyone has said, it is beef. I agree that you should weld it in addition to bolting it on. Originally, I had planned to just weld it and skip the bolts, but after seeing the brackets in person, I realize now that they need to be bolted too. The fuel and brakelines run below the bracket on the drivers side, so now there are little spacers to hold the bracket away from the rail and from the lines so it doesnt smash them when torqued down.

The bracket is about 6" wide, which is significantly wider than the framerail. If you didn't bolt them at all, there would be about 1.5" of the bracket hanging off the framerail without any weld on it, and on the drivers side this includes the UCA mount since it is incorporated into the LCA bracket. Also, since the UCA mount is in the way, you wont be able to get a weld very far along the inside of the framerail...

I don't know much about loading and forces and all that incurred during wheeling or DDing, but I do know that I wouldn't trust my UCA to the bracket being only welded on. My camera is on the fritz, so if it decides to start working, I'll take some pictures so everyone can see what i'm talking about.

The last thing worth mentioning is that I believe, though I'm not certain, the frame bolts are grade 5. They have the 3 raised lines indicating grade 5, but there is also a raised triangle between two of the raised lines. I think this is simply a manufacturer's stamp. That said, I'll be upgrading these to Grade 8 when they go on.

I'm welding the hell out of mine.

ZacSquatch said:
Pretty much whenever you want to show up.. I was thinkin like 10.. but I'm easy to get along with.

I'm building my own off the RK design, I have RE flex joints for the frame side and JJ's for the axle side

But before that gets finished... I need to do that mod you did for your XJ.... a DD

Sounds good, I can leave here around 845 or 9am.

Back