• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How big of tires can I go?

Blue Boy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I got a 1987 XJ with a 3'inch rough country lift. I already have 30's on it but how big can I go on the tires? I don't want to think about regearing right now as it is my daily driver but since I got the lift I don't think the tires on it are aggressive enough. Any thoughts?

Depends if you want to cut or not. No cutting, 31s are pushing it, with aggressive trimming and bumpstops 33s.

I had a 3 inch rough country and i ran 31s with minimal rubbing only when turned lock to lock. And as for the axle snapping i've ran this setup for a few years and never had a problem.

Depending on how you wheel you can likely get away with 33"s on a dana 35 just fine. I know plenty of guys that have wheeled for years on d35s with 33"s and a couple on 35"s. Know your limits and don't get to hard on the skinny pedal.

I also noticed you didn't mention what gears you have. The better the ratio, the smaller the teeth, so you are actually better off not going too deep on a 35.

Blue Boy said:
How can I find out what gears I have?
What's your drivetrain consist of? Manual or Auto, 4 or 6 cyl?

auto 6cyl with 33s will be fine as long as you dont floor it through everything. but thats beside the point,

you're NOT going to be able to flex with a 3" lift and 33s... thats WAY close. 33's was close on my brothers 89 with a 4.5 rubicon kit. and lots of cutting.

Blue Boy said:
Yeah I am willing to trim but just worried about the axle snapping honestly.
Keep it open and it will be fine in the rear. Lock the front if you want and just dont be too throttle happy.

Oizarod115 said:
you're NOT going to be able to flex with a 3" lift and 33s... thats WAY close. 33's was close on my brothers 89 with a 4.5 rubicon kit. and lots of cutting.
BS.

Ramsey said:

X2

You must not have cut very much then.
We're running a sagging 3" junkyard lift with 33's and have 7"s front and 6.5"s rear up-travel, pretty decent for a 3" lift.

EDIT: I'd take droop over up-travel anyway, keeps the tires on the ground.

Last edited:
depends on how much you think is alot of cutting, i thought it was a good bit, but certainly not overdone

im not saying it couldn't flex because it definately did and the setup was really nice, but i wouldn't like to be running a 3" lift with teh same tires.

edit: may have exaggerated a little on the first post, but i wouldn't run 3" and 33's but some people run huge tires stock so its all opinion

Heres what I consider a decent amount of cutting, not too much, but enough:
The rears are up about as far as they can go, the fronts are about an inch from the body line.
Picture015.jpg

yeah, off with the fender down near the front bumper though, dont have any pics, but just barely more in the front of the front than that. same rear.

those the 33s?

ill admit they clear fine like that

i still wouldn't want 33s on a 3" though, guess it comes down to opinion

33's i'd start thinking about steering as well, stock stuff doesn't like big meats that much, not hard to bend it... v8 ZJ steering can handle a 33 easy swap out if you've got a junkyard around

Back