• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

horn problem

ktilcu

NAXJA Forum User
my low tone horn went out so i bought a new one, unplugged the broke and one and pluegged the new one in and it didn't work. so, i plugged the new one into the working horn and it wasn't working there either. Now, no horns work anywhere. Is this a fuse problem? if so where is the fuse, or is there a bigger problem, is there a way to test the wiring or what? any help would be appreciated. thanks

More info, what yr,
sounds like horn relay, bad ground, bad connection, broken wire?
Is there any juice to the wire, if yes then check ground.

it's a 94 sport and there was juice but it ended up that when i changed the broken one then the good one stopped working... how would i test for current. One on connector and one on ground or what?

Take a 12v test light and like you said, 1 end to a good ground and the other to the connection wire and have someone push horn button. If you get the tester to light, then the new horn is not getting a good ground, NO light, try swapping the relay for known relay that's working.

http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/j/B/41860235.gif

This is for a grand cherokee but i think it looks pretty similar... i pulled the wiring out of the front and there are three female ends to plug horns into... two were being used... the relay is in the fuse box under the hood however none of the relays say horn there are two alt power relays which i would imagine would hold the current for the horn but any suggestions as to which one? if pics would help let me know...

Last edited:
On the '93 XJ the horn relay is under the dash to the right of the steering column. Assuming it's working You can hear it click when you press the horn button if you listen carefully. I believe it is the relay to the far right just above your knee. If you have a spare Bosch type relay, easy enough to plug it in to confirm whether that is the problem.

driver side on mine and it does click... according to the image there is a wire that connects the two horns together... don't have that...?

Back