• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

horn location

B.RAIDER said:
Mine only works when the key is on. Normal???
I have a 88.

yup its normal

Ok My horn on my 89 quit working last week.I don't have any power at the horn and I don't see the relay above the fuse box.Where else could the relay be?

Ok I found the relay,took it out, and jumpered the brown wire to the gray wire at the connector and the horns blew...looks like the gray/red wire(from horn button)isn't sending a signal to the relay.Appears that the switch is either bad(How do I tell?) or the wiring is fawked.I love how electrical problems just create themselves overnight.
I hate not having a horn.....

Where does the gray/red wire from the horn button get juice to signal the relay?I looked at the fuse panel and there isn't a fuse labled horn?I have studied the electrical diagrams in my manual and can't find out.

Oh yea,for search purposes to any one else looking for the horn relay.Look behind the trim piece right by your left foot....mine was hidden behind that and it is a white three terminal relay.It definately wasn't above the fuse panel on the left side like my manual said......more like below the fuse panel on the left side.

Last edited:
I jumpered a horn button at the relay block to get it to work. I have put ALL new wiring in the column, and all new electrical parts, including the rotating sleeve for the horn.

Either way, it will blow the fuze on the power feed at the solenoid and kill the engine. I'm going after the horn ground next - something is causing it blow, too much current obviously, but that's counter intuitive to a bad ground.

5-90, where are you?

What solenoid are you talking about?How can a horn issue kill the engine?
If your horns blow after jumpering a button at the relay,horn grounds aren't your problem.You have a short in the wiring somewhere...

i had a horn problem after changing my steering wheel out a year or so ago long story short it owund up being the button that was my problem the steering wheel has a little pin that slides into a hole and turns the horn on/off when pushed pulled it out n replaced the pin and fixed it all

yea I checked for voltage at the pin and there was none.Can someone tell me where the horn button gets power from?You would think it comes from the fuse box but there isn't a fuse labled horn.

Sorry to hijack - glad the first problem got fixed.

A circuit using too much power will blow the fusible link from the battery to the starter solenoid ('90.) The horn is getting power from the main circuit that also handles engine electronics - which makes sense, it's a basic load necessary for safe operation of the vehicle.

As for the actual horn relay wiring, IIRC the wire leading back to the horn button just grounds the circuit, tripping the relay. If you have continuity, it should be working. (I might be wrong, just working off faded memories.) It's not a regular relay, it's a three prong - power, horn, and switch. One less power wire up the column, and puts a small load at the button.

When the relay powers the horn itself, like you found, that circuit from relay to horn handles the heavy load. I take it your're suggesting it may be in that circuit, which makes sense to me.

Time to drag out the wiring diagram.

Back