• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vent idea?!

This was before I got all the hardware in and on. Now they fit a lot more flush. I think they would look real good towards the center, but there is too much hood support there. If I actually get around to flushing these in with the sheetmetal from a trans am then I will also put the rear hood vents from the same car on.

DSC00958.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00956.jpg

i'd say keep it just how it is xj with hood scoop would look... well as we say in AZ Vato-Zone anything that should have a hood scoop would have one or have an option for one. i personally love your vents and think you executed it perfect just my 2 cents looks good for sure though

my buddy did twin cowel indiction vents on his hood (looks pretty decent) and it cut down his running temp dramaticly. will post pics soon :)

yea i would like to see some jeep with some hood scoops just to get an idea if they could look decent, if not then ill stay with this idea

This was before I got all the hardware in and on. Now they fit a lot more flush. I think they would look real good towards the center, but there is too much hood support there. If I actually get around to flushing these in with the sheetmetal from a trans am then I will also put the rear hood vents from the same car on.

DSC00956.jpg

Those are the only vents I have seen that I like and the placement is perfect. The only thing I would do different would be to turn them around 180* like the Orvis vents.

My concern is not low speed venting. The two electric fans do a good job of that. I need the hot air out at high speed. Theory have it that the front of the hood have a low pressure at high speed that should create a vacumn right in that area that should help to pull the air out behind the radiator,...thus the vent placement on the Orvis version of the XJ's, ZJ's and WJ's that I have seen in the islands that came from Europe.

I just used a couple of floor registers and sheet metal screws... doesn't look the greatest but it works really good and doesn't look awful... ive seen a LOT worse done to jeeps :p

What a trip! I just stopped by lowes at 6:20am this morning to pick up the grill o sheets to do this same exact mod. They only had 2 left and I almost bought both of them just in case I screwed up. looks good as soon as I get alittle bit of "me time" i'm going to do this mod.

I just put a spacer in the hinge it lifts up the back of the hood provided a vent.
Very easy just get longer bolts and drill a couple holes hood latch still works.
I use 1-1/4 box tubing for it but you could always use a stack of washers or anything.

jeepcher012.jpg

before you go sticking hood scoops on your ride, stick a couple 3" peice of yarn, leaving 2" loose where your putting your scoop to test low vs high pressure zones at speed.... i think that'll be too far back... but havent gone thru the motions.

Crash02... who are you and why haven't I seen you lerkin in my hood?

As for kdubdizzle... do you have the very rare and limited edition 96 jeep cherokee sti? I've only heard of them never seen one though.. the hood scoop should have come from factory, along with the wing on the back hatch.. not only does the scoop help with cooling, the wing adds 4 lbs of down pressure at 80mph..........bitchin!

Bad timing?I drive my jeep 90% of the time around town,but I do have a confession to make... I've lived in san jagetto for about 3 years now and I work on the s.west side of town.

well I'm usually on the east end of town. But from your avatar it looks like you wheel the same place I do.. looks like to the west of simpson park or diamond valley.. with that in mind let's go wheel!

I just finished my vents. I didn't want big holes in my hood and figured I could always go bigger, so I shortend the hole's another 2.5 inches each way
ResizedImage_1315361738021.jpg

And here is the finished product
ResizedImage_1315361775876.jpg

@ mxracer624, yes that was taken at pachea trail. Very nice place for local wheeling.

I was just pondering an idea. In similar fashion how people have cowl intakes has anyone else pondered using the cowl area for dumping hot air? Would it be possible to drill maybe 2 or 3 holes in the cowl area and let hot air pass out of the engine compartment that way? This way there is no holes to be drilled in the hood and still keeps it clean.

Back