• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood scoop

jpcherokeekid

NAXJA Forum User
So after i put my new aluminum radiator in i noticed that my underhood temps started to get really hot. my motor temp stays around 180 but the heat in the engine bay was getting way to hot. i could see it was starting to melt my air hose and plastic vacume lines. i also couldnt even hold my hood long enough to prop it up it was so hot. my vents i put on it a year ago are obviosly too small, and i put them in the wrong place, but regaurdless they dont work worth a crap. so i ordered my cowl induction scoop from summit, ($60), and cut about a 2ft square hole in the middle back part of my hood. now that i have a real hole for the hot air to vent out, i havent had any more problems with stuff melting in my engine bay. im going to fab up a small lip to go around the hole to keep running water out when it rains, but ill worry about that this fall.

100_0869.jpg

100_0870.jpg

100_0871.jpg

jpcherokeekid said:
So after i put my new aluminum radiator in i noticed that my underhood temps started to get really hot. my motor temp stays around 180 but the heat in the engine bay was getting way to hot. i could see it was starting to melt my air hose and plastic vacume lines. i also couldnt even hold my hood long enough to prop it up it was so hot.
It concerns me that you are having this problem in the first place. I have had 3 very dark colored Jeeps that have all had the hot hood problem but I've never had one actually start melting the underhood vac lines, hoses etc. Have you checked for exhaust manifold cracks? I like your vents/scoops I just would hate to have them as a bandaid for the true issue if there is one. Regardless, Jeep looks great.

i have a brand new edlebrock header, and i have no exhaust leeks. its maily the fans pulling all the hot air through the radiator and not exiting throught the small vents and out the bottom efficiently enought. im more trying to prevent the excess heat from making all of my new vacume lines and hoses more brittle or melt anymore then the already are. its probly not as bad as i think but i would rather be safe then sorry. plus i think it looks bad ass. thanks for the imput

Back