• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Bumper

looks good!!!
I'm impressed with how simple you made it look, not a fan of the tow hooks underneath but considering what you said, theirs no better place to put them

I had installed a Rusty's airtube with a K & N filter which freed up a crap load of space where the factory airbox was and moved my canister over to that side. Fits very well.

Oh...I am so going to copy you.

One question though. Why did you not fold the excess material on the sides under the bumper to strengthen it up a little? Ate you going to strengthen with the skid you are adding later?

Kingfish said:
Oh...I am so going to copy you.

One question though. Why did you not fold the excess material on the sides under the bumper to strengthen it up a little? Ate you going to strengthen with the skid you are adding later?

I thought about it but getting a 90 degree bend or close to it in 6mm steel is pretty hard without a press. I will plate underneath the wings when I add the skid later so didn't bother trying to fold it :)

Cheers
Steve

Finished it :) I decided to cap the ends of the bumper before I painted it so it took me a little longer. All up I'm very very happy with it especially since the total cost was under $120.

Capped ends
Bumper_036.sized.jpg

Final pics :)
Bumper_039.sized.jpg

Bumper_043.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Very nice. JIM.

Looks great!

One question: As it is, would you trust it to a hi-lift? Or do you think the angle Iron is not meant to have force in that direction.

I dont think it will break, but maybe bend? I dont know the strength of angle.

thanks

Jesse

noresttill said:
Looks great!

One question: As it is, would you trust it to a hi-lift? Or do you think the angle Iron is not meant to have force in that direction.

thanks

Jesse

I think anywhere except on the end of the returns near the flares would be Ok, the angle is 6mm thick (1/4") so it should take it Ok. I do plan to put a bottom on it later and box it in a bit so that should help. Just ran out of time and needed to get the jeep back on the road.

Cheers
Steve

you by chance wouldnt have the dimensions on this would you, i am very interested in doing something similar to save money, but have never done one, and would like a little guidance. this is a sweet bumper!

ripkord99 said:
you by chance wouldnt have the dimensions on this would you, i am very interested in doing something similar to save money, but have never done one, and would like a little guidance. this is a sweet bumper!

The angle is 75mm (3") X 125mm (5") by 6mm thick (1/4"), the total length was 2m (you can work that out in feet). I just centered it on the mounts and then cut and bent it and didn't have to shorten the angle that way.

The first bend is just past the mounts, maybe 1/4" and I bent it back at I think 18 degrees, the second bend was just where it looked good and it's bent back 55 degrees. One thing I did do is angle the bumper returns out slightly so they come out to the same width as the flares to protect them slightly.

Also make sure you cut the angle on the bottom before you make the second bend as that way you can just do one long straight cut. I also clamped a piece of box to the line i wanted to cut along and used that to rest my angle grinder up against to make sure I got as straight a cut as possible.

Another hint is to cut the back of the angle where you want to bend it but not all the way through, just make it thin enough to bend. I used a 3mm cutting disk for that. It means the welds are only on the back (weld over the groove afterwards) and keeps the face of the bumper neat.

The steel for the brackets is 6mm but is 12mm (1/2") where the recovery eyes are and is 18mm above that to stop it bending.

I think that's everything :)

Cheers
Steve

noresttill said:
Looks great!

thanks

Jesse
I did mine similar with 4x4 1/4" thick angle a few years ago. I've highlifted from everywhere on the bumper including the ends and it has not bent at all. (though I could see it flex when lifting from the end before I had the tube on it) I've smacked it into all kinds of stuff and finally after 2+ years I went to Johnson Valley and managed to bend the bottom in the middle, but it's not even that bad.

becca0050my7tc.jpg

Really nice work,
I just bought the Rocklizard Bumper last week :)

Are the holes in the Bottom for the D rings ?
That would be a cool place for them

Could somebody elaborate on how to strengthen the sterring bok area. Would just one of the bumper mounts continue and go inbetween the steering box and the frame
nice job on the bumper steve f
Thanks
Chris

jeep01xj said:
Really nice work,
I just bought the Rocklizard Bumper last week :)

Are the holes in the Bottom for the D rings ?
That would be a cool place for them

Yep, down here in Aus it is illegal to have protrusions from the face of the bumper so I made the shackle mounts underneath instead.

Cheers
Steve

Back