• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home built roof rack weight?

The design & strength of my rack compared to Olympic's is uncomparable. I'm not going to talk bad about there rack & I'm sure their side rails will help keep brush away from your rig. My rack has been designed & tested to actually take leaning against rock faces & trees without damaging the rack or your roof. I also used it as a winch point on several occasions. I wouldn't want to lean against a rack that's held on by the gutters... You get what you pay for & for the majority the Olympic rack will work just fine. My target market is for the more dedicated wheeler.

Matt

Hey Matt, sorry for the dumb question. How is your rack mounted if it doesn't use the gutters?
Thanks.

The rack is mounted using nutserts in the roof. Basically, you drill out the stock 6mm nutserts the stock roof rack is held on by & replace them with 5/16” ones. If you have an XJ that didn't come with a factory rack, or has the short "half" rack than you'll have to mark & drill the holes. There are 6 bolts per side, 12 total mounting points spaced out evenly across the roof. This really spreads out the loads along with the triangulation of the rack itself. I again want to specify that this rack isn't for everyone. It costs more, it's more difficult to install, & it's more expensive to ship, but for someone running extreme trails that need extreme protection this is the best option available. There is also the option of deleting the top halo for the ultimate low profile rack. No part of the floor is higher than 2" from the roof. Even with the top halo no part of the rack sits higher than 6" above the centerline of the roof. Most other racks on the market don't even start until this point. Custom options are available & prices will very upon what you want or don't want.

Matt

FBD_Rack_009.jpg

Same price without the sides Matt? I really like your design. Altough I was recommend to weld a piece of 1/1.25" directly to the gutters for top protection.

Nope, different options different prices. The $600 price is for the works with just about any mount you want. I'm leary of just throwing out a price as most guys that have ordered these have also wanted custom stuff done to them (spare tire mount 5 on 5.5 or 5 on 4.5, positioned near the front or back, shovel mount, highlift mount, mother in law mount, ect ect.). Give me a call & tell me what you want & I'll quote you a priced based on the work involved & if I liked talking to you on the phone or not. :laugh3:
(NAXJA club members also get a 10% discount off the price)

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Sorry for the delayed response. This thread was just brought to my attention...
Our racks have a shipping weight of 60lbs. The rub rails & cross bars are 90 wall to withstand a beating & the rest of the tubing is 60 wall.
No worries, I didn't realize it was brought back until just now by luck. I am very impressed. :exclamati That is pretty light for as stout as it is, and I've seen some photos of you leaning your rig into a tree with it and I'd never try that with mine. Not many tree's out in the desert and I'm not too extreme with rocks yet as its my daily driver for work.
I have finally finished my rack and got it mounted also but no pics yet, maybe tomorrow.

I know, old topic. Finally finished the rack up and weighed it. 60 lbs on bathroom scale. 70" x 49" x 5" overall. Like posted before, 1" x .060 round and 3/4 x .060 square cross supports and uprights, 3/4 x 13 expanded metal floor, mounted to 2" x 1/8" flat bolted to roof. Two coats of Herculiner on inside of rack and floor.
rack4.jpg

Back