• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO 4.0L swap... Qs

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 MJ that someone before me has had the engine out, rebuilt or swapped.... I can tell things have been played with by looking.

I have a 93 Xj parts rig outside I want to pull the HO engine and rebuild it to swap in down the road.

Ideally... I'd like to gut all the old crusty Renix wiring, and replace everything in my MJ with the stuff from the 93 Xj. Pull every wire and start from scratch.

My rig is a buggy... So I have no dash or cab wires. All the stuff can be eliminated. I just need the engine wiring from the 93.

How hard will this be?
When I pull the HO engine should I pull all the 93 wiring with it? Or should I disconnect and label everything and pull the engine and wiring separately?

I really want to replace everything in my renix system.

Last edited:
If you can, pull it all together. With everything you should be able to swap fine.

Basically... I'll be transplanting the entire HO system into my MJ? Remove everything from the 93... Leave it all attached to the engine, anything I unplug I will label.

While I have the engine out I want to rebuild it.

Had anyone else one this? I kinda want to hear from someone first hand who has done this.

Souske has OBD2 HO powertrain in his 87 2door. You could contact him. I know MJ is different cab back, but you said msot everything is removed so that shouldn't matter much. Might want to check MJ Tech forums. There are a few that have done the 97+ swap motor/electrics and all. Should be similar

I started to wire my '90 jeep speed outlaw project as a H.O., if and when you get this sorted out, I would love to see your notes!

Back