• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hightecretreading has new sizes, 37s!!!

if you look at a 16.5 wheel next to a 15" wheel with the tires off you will see that there is a large flat spot next to where the bead sits on the 15, but not on the 16.5. This spot makes it so that the tire on the 15 can be pushed in an inch or two and still maintain the air seal, but if a tire on a 16.5 gets pushed in basically at all it will break the seal. finding a cross-section picture of both wheels or looking at both would make it real clear.

Another thing about retreads that hasn't been discussed...the used sidewall. You've got to figure that the original tire has seen much abuse, esp a 37" Hummer tire. So any fatigue in the side wall is still there. Who is going to put 37s on their rig and not abuse the sidewall? However, a retread should last longer on a pass car than a big rig, so I say try 'em! If they warranty or pro rate them for blow outs, why not?

On the 16.5" subject...these rims were originally designed for the farmer. He gets a flat out in the field, the tire comes off the rim easier for him to be able to change it himself. Hence the lack of bead surface area.

makes sense thanks guys

what about the separation of the added tread from the remainder of the tire due to tire flex on the trail? I remember reading something about the fact that those retreads are pretty reliable as long as you run them at a correct pressure: once you drop the pressure and allow for tire flexing and "folding" around rocks and obstaclse, the risk of tire separation supposedly increases significantly.

I have a friend with a DD zuk that ran hi-tec retread MTs and beat the crap out of them. No problems even after several trips aired down and driving to and from work.

I have been running the 37" retreads since last July. I don't run that many highway miles but I can get run 65-70 with no vibration problems. On the trail I run them at around 7-8 psi and have run them lower. I run them on hummer beedlocks. I have had no problems with tread seperation. I do think the sidewalls could be stronger but you get what you pay for. I think they are a good cheap alternative untill you can save up for what you really want.

I do drive truck for a living. Keep in mind 100+psi and 80,000#, and with close to 2 million miles under my belt, maybe a dozen lost. I don't run re-treads on my POV, but wouldn't think twice if they had a good set on them. My question would be how well do they air down? Would they be stiffer and allow les flex?

Back