• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Volume Water Pump

Never needed one, even on my stroker.

Guys are running 400+ horsepower on stock water pumps and not having issues at all. A high volume water pump will push more water into the radiator, but that means that it doesnt spend as much time in the radiator and doesnt get as cool, so you're loosing as much as you gain, at a loss of engine power and gas mileage.

There have even been cases of high volume water pumps overpowering thermostats not allowing them to close, causing cooling system problems where there wasn't one before.

I have a stock 2001 with a CSF 2 row radiator, ZJ fan clutch and a stant 195 thermostat. I had a Flowkooler waterpump. After 6 years it started to weep and I replaced it with a stock NAPA pump. With the Flowkooler pump it always ran right at thermostat temp. Even if sitting in heavy traffic it might have crept up to 200-205 during the summer months but would cool back down quickly when moving again. With the stock NAPA pump it runs right at thermostat temp but if sitting in traffic this time of year it seems to creep up quicker and takes a little longer to cool back down. Still doesn't get warm enough for the e-fan to kick on. Also, I'm getting the temp numbers from a Scangauge.

I have a stock 2001 with a CSF 2 row radiator, ZJ fan clutch and a stant 195 thermostat. I had a Flowkooler waterpump. After 6 years it started to weep and I replaced it with a stock NAPA pump. With the Flowkooler pump it always ran right at thermostat temp. Even if sitting in heavy traffic it might have crept up to 200-205 during the summer months but would cool back down quickly when moving again. With the stock NAPA pump it runs right at thermostat temp but if sitting in traffic this time of year it seems to creep up quicker and takes a little longer to cool back down. Still doesn't get warm enough for the e-fan to kick on. Also, I'm getting the temp numbers from a Scangauge.

Is your fan clutch getting old?

Is your fan clutch getting old?
It still feels ok and its definitely still loud. I did the radiator, fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, and radiator cap in June of 2010. I changed the thermostat, radiator cap and thermostat housing about a month ago when I did the water pump. The radiator and fan clutch have 6 years and about 80,000 miles on them.

Its cool.
He's still getting one.

Yup.
And I'm going to delete the mech. fan, replace it w/ an electric and install a adjustable "probe type" thermostat to run them.
I hate it when my coolant temp. gauge climbs w/ ac on in 93 degree temps. w/ 180%+ humidity(it feels like it at least).

That makes u's mad, don't it?
:wave1:

Some of the new parts these days are kinda crappy. sure wish there was a good fan clutch test.

Boil water in a pan, place the fan clutch assy in the pan for 60 seconds. Remove it from the pan. If you can turn the fan the clutch it is no good, it should barely turn by hand and I mean barely if it is good, at 212 F.

Yup.
And I'm going to delete the mech. fan, replace it w/ an electric and install a adjustable "probe type" thermostat to run them.
I hate it when my coolant temp. gauge climbs w/ ac on in 93 degree temps. w/ 180%+ humidity(it feels like it at least).

That makes u's mad, don't it?
:wave1:
Jimmies remain unrustled.
Back at you goose.

Back