• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High steer arm question

ZPD

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of my HP Dana 44 build and I am at the point where I am choosing some high steer arms. I have noticed that some are angled on the end and others are completly flat. Is the angle to compensate for the draglink or are the flat surfaces of the flattop knuckles not parallel to eachother and the angle in the arms compensate so that the TRE's are not in any bind. My instinct tells me that the angle is for the draglink in which case I need an arm that is flat because I will be doing an inverted T steering setup. Am I right?

The angled one is for a direct tie rod from the high steer arm to the steering box with no drag link. At least this is what i am running.

Does anyone remember what spobi means? The drag link goes from the steering box to the knuckle. The tie rod goes from knuckle to knuckle. On an inverted y setup the tie rod goes from the drag link to the knuckle.

The angle is to take care of the 10* angle that's on top of the knuckles. If that wasn't milled into the end of the arm, the rod end would be pushed close to it's max misalignment at rest. I think :wave:

Ok even though RER78 got his terminology wrong, you both said two different things. RER78 said that the angle is to compensate for the draglink and Oneton said that it is to compensate for the knuckles. I guess the question is: are the flats of the knuckles on flat top knuckles parallel to eachother?

ZPD said:
Ok even though RER78 got his terminology wrong, you both said two different things. RER78 said that the angle is to compensate for the draglink and Oneton said that it is to compensate for the knuckles. I guess the question is: are the flats of the knuckles on flat top knuckles parallel to eachother?

if you machine them that way

most times you dont want to do that -

more reading on d44 high steer here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Steering/Steering_Index/SteeringIndex.htm

Back