• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculining the lower parts

BrettM said:
herculiner on the lower parts, huh? maybe you need to read this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18595&page=1
:D
The first time I read that I almost pissed my pants. I second, or third, or whatever on the Herc. I did my whole CJ with it and it turned out great. I get questions everytime I drive it though about what it is. The only downside is that I'm going to be streching the wheel base, so I'm going to have to add some more sheet metal. I will have to remove some of the Herc :doh: and add some more. I used 3/4 of a gallon for the whole outside of the CJ, and it mostly dried up. Blast, I might have to buy another can. :banghead:
BTW I'm 16 and it was not that hard. The more time you put into it, the better it will turn out.

Wow, only 3/4? Is that with 2 coats? I was worried I wouldn't have enough with a gallon to do my rockers, bumpers, and flares! Now I'm tempted to do the whole thing!

With one gallon of Herc. I did my front and rear bumpers, rocker skids, rocker panels, and the whole inside with 2 coats everywhere and 3 coats on the drivers side floor and I still have some left over.

Here are a few picture of the exterior.
DSC00019.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

Jeeps a bit dirty but you get the idea.

I am about to apply Herc to the interior floor of my XJ. I am first prepping the floor by sanding and grinding down any rust and removing the paint. I am going to patch a few rust holes and then apply the Silver POR-15 to permanently seal out/in any residual rust. Then I will apply and entire gallon to the floor. I want it thick and durable and it may insulate some sound if it is thicker? I hope. If not, i can apply rubber floor over it if it is too noisy. I also plan on 4 drain plugs for easy cleanup/draining after playing in the mud. I would not hesitate to use herculiner on any other body parts as long as you prep..prep..prep, that is the key, take your time and do it right and wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt if you are a messy person, or you may wear the Herc on your skin for at least 2 weeks.

jp_of_fire said:
I am about to apply Herc to the interior floor of my XJ. I am first prepping the floor by sanding and grinding down any rust and removing the paint. I am going to patch a few rust holes and then apply the Silver POR-15 to permanently seal out/in any residual rust. Then I will apply and entire gallon to the floor. I want it thick and durable and it may insulate some sound if it is thicker? I hope. If not, i can apply rubber floor over it if it is too noisy. I also plan on 4 drain plugs for easy cleanup/draining after playing in the mud. I would not hesitate to use herculiner on any other body parts as long as you prep..prep..prep, that is the key, take your time and do it right and wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt if you are a messy person, or you may wear the Herc on your skin for at least 2 weeks.
i used a whole gallon on the floor of my MJ, much smaller space than an XJ so much thicker, and it did almost nothing to reduce heat and sound coming through the floor and tranny tunnel.

Back